14

Chapter Fourteen: Undercurrents

Halfway through the banquet, Hua Xi Wan had pretty much filled her appetite. She took the opportunity to examine the members of the Imperial House and found that, no matter the gender, these people all had good appearances. If the wives of these qinwang and dukes were not beauties, they were dignified and flawless.

Just sitting there, the people exuded a presence unique to nobility. This was like when she had been acting in her past life. People in different strata needed to speak and move differently; even the inner self changed along with the environment. When these things came together, it was called acting technique and was a kind of energy.

The present dynasty had gone through a few generations. Even if the appearance of the first emperor was average, after the addition of several generations of beautiful consorts, it was normal that the average level of beauty was high.

"It is the first time Xian Junwang Fei is attending a family banquet at the palace. Do you have anything you are unused to?" The Empress was sitting on the phoenix seat. Seeing Hua Xi Wan put down her chopsticks, she said with a smile, "Everyone present is a part of our family. If there is something you are unaccustomed to, state iteveryone will forgive you."

The Empress's words were ambiguous. Hua Xi Wan saw the faces of some Imperial House members were not right. She stood and curtsied. "Many thanks, Empress niangniang, for the concern. The banquet is very good. Nephew-wife is not unaccustomed." This was the birthday banquet for the Emperor. If she, a junwang fei, really didn't feel comfort here and was unaccustomed, then that was just seeking death.

Hearing this, the Empress nodded in comfort. "It is good that you are used to this. Ben gong sees you liked the dish Goddesses Spreading Flowers, and had the palace attendant go get another plate for you. If you like to eat it, do eat more."

"Nephew-wife thanks Empress niangniang." Hua Xi Wan felt the gazes of some womenfolk land on her body. Her smile carried hints of fear at being singled out, and slight panic at being paid attention to by the Empress.

A portion of the smart womenfolk moved their gazes away. This Xian Junwang Fei was too young and really took the Empress' conduct as good intentions. Such an innocent personality—if Xian Junwang did not protect her well, she really wasn't suited to a place like the Imperial House.

The Empress swept her gaze across everyone seated and then said a few more words to Hua Xi Wan before letting her sit. Inside, her opinion of Hua Xi Wan dropped slightly. The girl had an outstanding appearance but not enough intelligence. If this was any other of the womenfolk, they definitely would know how to respond without offending her while also not attracting the dislike of other people. Hua Xi Wan actually accepted this special treatment without a word. Yi'an Marquis Fu really raised a good daughter.

The Emperor didn't seem to have noticed the Empress' scheme and gave a few words of praise for Yan Jin Qiu. He let everyone present see his high opinion of Yan Jin Qiu before he listened in satisfaction to the flattery of others.

Hua Xi Wan had heard that the Emperor was a very charismatic and ambitious ruler in the first years after ascending the throne, but in her eyes, he was now just a slightly old, extremely suspicious, lavish and average emperor that liked hearing flattery.

Unrivaled power could easily lead one to lose sight of the path. Qilong Emperor had lost his strength and moves when he took the throne, and right now, he was more like an old man hugging the gold. Anyone who passed by him was a thief that wanted to steal his gold.

Someone who was in a position of power long enough and did not have a strong resolve would easily gain the flaw of being arrogant. They would always think that they would forever be the winner. When they considered and treated other people, they would unconsciously look through a layer of ego.