104

Chapter One Hundred and Four: The Winds Rise Again

When Sun shi got off the carriage, she sped up to walk behind Lu shi and reached out a hand in support. "Mother-in-law, be careful of the stairs ahead."

"The honored guests have arrived." Mu Tong was personally waiting by the gates. Seeing the members of the wang fei's paternal family arrive, he went forward with a smile and bowed to the group. "This one greets Old Taitai, Marquis, Furen, young masters and young furen. Please come in."

"Gonggong is too polite." Hua He Sheng recognized Yan Jin Qiu's most trusted taijian and nodded politely at Mu Tong before going through the gates of the wang fu ushered by the servants.

Along the way, all of the servants were respectful in action and speech. There was no flaw to pick at from their manners. It could be seen that Xian Wang Fu had good protocol. When they continued to walk in, before they reached the second door, they saw Yan Jin Qiu welcome them dressed grandly. "Zi Ling greets Father-in-law, Mother-in-law, Old Taitai."

The old taitai held a hand for Yan Jin Qiu to stand up with benevolence on her face. She was just Hua Xi Wan's grandmother in name—how could she accept this bow? She was not the only one. Even Hua He Sheng and Lu shi could not directly accept this bow. Any person, in front of a member of the Imperial Family, was a step lower.

Heaven, Earth, Ruler, Parents, Teachers. The ruler was in front of the parents. Xian Wang was polite to them because he was someone who acted properly. However, the Hua Family could not treat him as a normal person.

Hua He Sheng avoided Yan Jin Qiu's bow and returned a bow. Yan Jin Qiu's hand stopped him. The two exchanged courtesies before going through the second door together.

Usually, guests were not allowed to enter the second door. However, right now, there was only one female mistress in Xian Wang Fu, Hua Xi Wan. The Hua Family was Hua Xi Wan's paternal family, so welcoming them past the second door was to show closeness and respect.

When the Hua Family members entered through the second door, they saw Hua Xi Wan standing by the door. Before Lu shi, Sun shi and the others bowed, Hua Xi Wan stopped them. "We are one family. We do not have to abide by the etiquette."

"Etiquette cannot be disregarded." How could Lu shi not know what her daughter thought? But her daughter had married into the Imperial Family, was herself a member of the Imperial Family now, and so she had to act according to the etiquette of the Imperial Family.

Just as Lu shi understood Hua Xi Wan, Hua Xi Wan naturally knew Lu shi''s worries. She tightly gripped Lu shi's hand. "Mother, if you persist in this, how can this daughter endure it?"

Seeing her like this, Lu shi sighed lightly. She reached to pat the back of Hua Xi Wan's hand and sighed again. She did not persist in giving a curtsy. "Mother understands."

Yan Jin Qiu noticed the movements between mother and daughter. He turned to glance at Hua Xi Wan with mirth in his eyes.

"The wang fu's scenery is extraordinary." Hua He Sheng spoke and interrupted Yan Jin Qiu's gazing at Hua Xi Wan. He said with a smile on his face, "Compared to the wang fu, the marquis fu is almost a rundown grass hut. No wonder Little Wan said that the wang fu was beautiful when she returned to the paternal family."

"Father-in-law is too complimentary; it is just habitable." Yan Jin Qiu turned to look at the young people behind Hua He Sheng. He knew Hua Chang Bao, Hua Qing Mao, and Hua Ding Chen, but he was not familiar with the one remaining.