76

Chapter Seventy-Six: True and False Intentions

There were several silver coal stoves placed in the large side hall. There was only hot heat but no smothering smoke. The servants were all silent with bowed heads. Everywhere, the authority of the wang fu was present.

Xian Wang Fei's words were slightly slow, but no one present dared to press her. Assistant Minister Hu carefully took out a handkerchief from his sleeve and wiped the sweat on his forehead. He wondered if there were too many heaters placed in the side hall. When he raised his head and saw the pale complexion of Xian Wang Fei, he recalled that those who were anemic were afraid of the cold. Consequently, he now believed one hundred percent that Xian Wang Fei had been injured.

"A few days ago, because Lin Ping Junzhu... Lin Ping Xianzhu came to this one's fu to visit, I had some differences in opinion with her and a verbal argument. In the days after, I felt guilty and anxious. That day, because I felt irritated, I couldn't help but vent and had all the servants leave." Hua Xi Wan's grip on the teacup tightened. "Then two of the servant girls who have served me since childhood came back to comfort me. But a moment after the two of them entered, a taijian came to report that Wang Ye had something to give to me. I believed it and allowed him in the door. Who... who knew that it wasn't just the taijian who entered but also a manservant behind him. My servant girls detected that something was not right and were wary. One even was fast enough to throw a vase at the taijian. The manservant suddenly charged and raised a blade to kill..."

Hua Xi Wan's hand that held the teacup trembled. She raised her head to grimace at the people seated. "What happened afterward was too chaotic, and I cannot explain the details even now. I only remember my two servant girls screaming that there was an assassin. If it wasn't for my attendants who faithfully protected me, I probably would not be seated here today."

"This has been a scare for Wang Fei. This lowly servant will definitely investigate this matter to the bottom." Assistant Minister Hu was someone who had been at his job for many years, and in his view, Xian Wang Fei's actions were normal. He had heard the news that Lin Ping Xianzhu and Xian Wang Fei had a verbal argument, and even heard that Lin Ping Xianzhu had pointed at Xian Wang Fei and called her a calamity. This had greatly shamed the Xian Couple. Fortunately, Xian Wang was kind and asked for mercy for Lin Ping Xianzhu at the court session. It was hard to blame Xian Wang Fei for feeling so when encountering a sister-in-law like Lin Ping Xianzhu.

"I have to trouble Daren. There have been many things happening in Jing recently, and I really feel bad that my matter has caused everyone to work." Hua Xi Wan looked at the sky outside and pretended to be a noblewoman who was frightened but still maintained the composure of a wang fei. "So I will thank everyone here."

"We don't dare, we don't dare; this is this lowly official's duty." Everyone liked people who were friendly. Assistant Minister Hu was not an exception. He had originally been worried that Xian Wang Fei would be a woman with whom it was hard to interact, based on her beauty and high status. However, after talking for such a short while, he discovered that his speculation had been ridiculously off. It was normal for such a beautiful and gentle woman to be the only object of Xian Wang's love. "This lowly official still has a presumptuous request and asks for Wang Fei's permission."

"Official Hu, please speak."

"May this lowly official and the others ask your two servant girls some brief questions?" This was the procedure when they investigated a case. Even though it was something that almost never happened in the nobility circles, he still asked as a matter of procedure.