77

Chapter Seventy-Seven: Promise

Because of the successive incidents that had occurred in Jing, the event of a cefei from Sheng Junwang Fu being sent off to a country estate was not worth a mention in the eyes of other people.

The spy whom the Emperor had put inside Sheng Junwang Fu had not found anything. They only knew that on the day, a doctor had come to take this cefei's pulse, and at night, Xu Cefei had been sent off to an estate. The reason was because Sheng Junwang Fei had a weak constitution and it was not suitable for a seriously ill Xu Cefei to stay in Jing, so as to prevent her from passing the illness to Sheng Junwang Fei.

Many people thought of this matter as Sheng Junwang Fei acting against a concubine, but Hua Xi Wan felt it was suspicious after hearing this. Hou shi was a very smart person and usually had a virtuous reputation. If she intended to act against a concubine, how could she use such a base method? With Hou shi's personality, she would only have the doctor take care of Xu Cefei in her recovery rather than send Xu Cefei off to an estate.

If it wasn't Hou shi's idea, then the decision-maker could only be Sheng Junwang. Hou shi was just forced to take on the crime for him. But what matter could cause Yan Bo Yi to send his woman in the middle of the night to an estate?

Hua Xi Wan thought and told her suspicions to Yan Jin Qiu. "Hou shi definitely is not someone who would act like this."

"What do you think is the most likely cause?" Yan Jin Qiu handed her a piece of fruit stuck on a silver toothpick. He was sitting cross-legged next to Hua Xi Wan and idly flipped a page of his book. The two of them were curled up on a chaise with a warm blanket over their legs. There was a little wooden bed tray with fruit on it beside them. Their day was very luxurious.

Hua Xi Wan was too lazy to reach out and take it, so she moved her head and bit down on the fruit in Yan Jin Qiu's hand. Then she said with a creased brow, "Had this Xu Cefei committed a wrong?"

"If she had really been so daring, then Yan Bo Yi wouldn't have sent her off to an estate, but would have taken her life right then and there." Yan Jin Qiu saw that Hua Xi Wan was unwilling to take the fruit with her hand and could only hold the toothpick until she finished eating. Then he speared another piece to eat himself.

Standing in the corner, Mu Tong sighed once again inside. When had Wang Ye turned out like this? Even in private, in the past Wang Ye had been someone who was careful. But now... People said those close to ink are dyed black, and those close to vermilion are dyed crimson—it really was true.

Mu Tong wiped his face and retreated further into the corner. He felt that in a situation like this, anyone who stood on the side was extraneous.

"Then what is the cause?" Hua Xi Wan suspected that Yan Jin Qiu had spies in Sheng Junwang Fu, but she had no intentions of caring about such matters. She only needed to know the result of some matters.

"Have you thought it is because this cefei is pregnant?"

"It is good to be pregnant..." Hua Xi Wan immediately understood. If this was any usual time, then it was good for a cefei to be pregnant, but at this time, it was not good to be pregnant.

When she thought about it, she felt disgusted. She was even unable to keep reading. With a furrowed brow, she said, "Even tigers do not eat their cubs. If he does not want this child to affect him, he can send the person somewhere else. He should not have this child die in the belly."