34

Chapter Thirty-Four: The Fang Family

Speaking of this Imperial Brother-in-Law, he really could not be considered a capable person in Jing. However, he was proud based on the fact that his elder sister was the Empress and his nephew was the Crown Prince. However, while he was a proud person, when he heard that his horse had disturbed Xian Junwang Fei's carriage and heard that Xian Junwang Fei was wounded, he knew he had caused trouble.

What to do when he was in trouble? Naturally it was to have his old mother send in a card to the palace to meet the Empress. She had to think of a way to smooth this affair over. Otherwise, when the matter became known, it would not be so easy to deal with.

When the Empress heard that her paternal family was requesting to meet her, she felt slightly strange. They had just met two days ago—why were they sending in a card to see her now? She was curious and invited the people from her paternal family in.

The Empress' paternal family was the Fang Family. It was not a very prestigious family in Jing, but it gradually stood out after she entered the Eastern Palace as the Crown Princess. However, in front of the old families, they still lacked the foundations.

After meeting with the people of her paternal family, the Empress detected that her mother and her sister-in-law's expressions were slightly uncomfortable, as though they had something that was hard to say. She knew that it was definitely her younger brother who had made trouble. She took a sip of tea and said, "Has something happened in the family?"

Fang Taitai looked at her grandly dressed daughter and managed to narrate what had happened on the street. She also emphasized that Xian Junwang Fei had been wounded on the forehead.

When the Empress thought about Xian Junwang Fei's beautiful face and how much Xian Junwang favored her, she felt troubled. "Why was Younger Brother letting the horse free in the city? The old ancestors had given the order long ago that horses could not be let free inside the city. Why did you allow him to do such a bad thing?" She looked in blame at her dimei, Lin shi, and her words seemed to criticize Lin shi for not controlling her younger brother well.

Lin shi felt uncomfortable at being stared at by the Empress. However, the other had a noble status and she could not do any disrespectful actions. Husband didn't even listen to her mother-in-law, how could he listen to her urgings? Even if the Empress blamed her, she could not do a thing.

"Now that the matter is like this, Empress niangniang, please think of a way to help your younger brother." Fang Taitai wiped her tears and said, "I only have you two children. Right now, your brother is the one holding up the fu. If something happens to him, what will our Fang Family do? Your two nephews are still young."

The Empress sighed helplessly. The matter was not that Xian Junwang Fei's forehead had been wounded but that her younger brother had let a horse go free in Jing and injured a member of the Imperial Family. This matter was not a major matter, but it was not a minor one. Xian Junwang Fu had great prestige in recent years, and Yi'an Marquis Fu was a prestigious family that had been passed on for several generations. If this matter was investigated to the bottom, the Fang Family would not come out well.

"Right now, what is most important is how Xian Junwang Fei's injuries are. If they are minor, it will be all right; if they are serious..." The Empress waved her hand and said tiredly, "Go back and prepare gifts to send to the Xian Junwang Fu. As to what will come next, it will depend on the attitudes of the Emperor and Xian Junwang."

Fang Taitai saw her daughter's tone had softened and knew that she would help. She said with a smile, "You are the Empress. Xian Junwang Fu would not make this matter a public one based on your face."