59

Chapter Fifty-Nine: A Suspicious Good News

The case between the Zhou and the Hua Family allowed many people to see a good performance of how to favor the concubine and neglect the wife. The rumors were so powerful that in this recent while, no one dared to enter a marital relationship with the Zhou Family.

There were some people who sourly said behind Hua Xi Wan's back that she was meddling in the affairs of her paternal family as a woman who had married out, but people quickly objected.

"If she did not act when her own sister endured so, then she would truly be a woman with a poisonous heart. Xian Wang Fei is a magnanimous person."

Everyone talked about about Hua Xi Wan's good qualities—half of the people did so because they agreed with her actions, and the other half only did so because of Hua Xi Wan's status which they wanted to curry favor with. So they wanted to say that she was perfect all around. People were so and avoided dangers to them. Everyone knew that Assistant Minister Zhou had been removed from the position of examiner in the civil service examination because of Zhou Family's ugly matter of favoring the concubine and neglecting the wife. He was also attacked in court by a share of officials, causing him to lose his position as assistant minister, and was sent off to a poor place to be a local official.

Originally, Assistant Minister Zhou had a chance to become the Minister, but everything was gone now. It could be seen from this just how important it was to teach one's children well. Many families in Jing sent away their concubines because of this matter, afraid that someone would accuse them of favoring the concubines and neglecting the wife.

Just as this matter settled, waves occurred again at the Judicial Office because of the assassination of Lin Ping Junma. After the complete investigation by the Judicial Office, this matter seemed to be connected with the Crown Prince and Lin Ping Junzhu.

Lin Ping Junma was someone on the Crown Prince's side. Why would the Crown Prince want to kill him? Lin Ping Junzhu was his wife. Why would she want to kill him? There had to be something else going on.

As the case progressed, there were even more parts that were suspicious. Many people in Jing were found to have a connection with the case. The case of the two red-light district women was cleared up. It was because Zhou Yun Heng had been flirting with these women, causing a concubine in his home to feel jealousy who sent someone to harm these women. Out of fear, she purposefully had the people leave behind clues relating to Sheng Junwang that would muddy the trail.

As to why she had to use things that were related to Sheng Junwang Fu, it was because Sheng Junwang had a position in the Judicial Office. The concubine thought that Sheng Junwang would suppress this case because he would be wary of it. She did not know that the Xian Wang couple discovered the matter that same night, which caused the entire city to learn of the matter. Thereupon, it was impossible to be kept secret.

Since the matter was cleared up, the concubine was arrested. Zhou Yun Heng was also affected by the matter and sentenced to three years in prison.

"This case has ended like this?" Hua Xi Wan lazily leaned back on the chaise. There were two soft cushions at her back. "A little concubine from the Zhou Family dares to kill people in Jing—she is very daring."

"Who knows what kind of people the Zhou Family has?" Hong Ying was kneeling in front of the chaise as she kneaded Hua Xi Wan's knees. "It is fortunate that the miss left that pit, otherwise, she would also be affected by the Zhou Family."

"Calamity and auspiciousness often come together. Who knows if it is good or bad." Hua Xi Wan had a junior servant girl get an embroidered stool for Hong Ying to sit on. Then she said, "I will nap for a while. If Wang Ye comes, wake me up then."