87

Chapter Eighty-Seven: Poison

What was the biggest rumor going around Jing right now?

It was that when the Crown Princess had been in labor, the evergreen tree by the imperial tomb had been struck by lightning, and that a fire had started in the suburbs of Jing. Phenomena like this did not happen at the birth of someone normal, but it would have been better not to have these things occur.

Someone said that the imperial grandson was a demon and would bring calamity to the entire country. Others said that this was the warning that the heavens and the Yan ancestors were giving because this imperial grandson was not the child of the Crown Prince but born of the adulterous affair between the Crown Princess and Sheng Junwang.

Negative gossip was always more welcome than praise for others, and spread the fastest. The news that the Crown Princess had committed adultery and given birth to a demon spread through the entire country. In some remote places, the rumor had become the Crown Princess having illicit relations with a feral man and giving birth to a monster that would bring calamity.

People did not completely believe in monsters and demons, but definitely feared them. Also, the rumors about the imperial grandson were so detailed that even the people who did not originally believe them started to believe them.

"So the rumors outside say that the imperial grandson has three eyes, six arms, black skin, and fangs?" Hua Xi Wan sipped tea, and laughed, covering her mouth with a fan. "What is all this nonsense?"

Hong Ying said with a smile, "The people outside have not seen the imperial grandson. Isn't it normal for the rumors to get exaggerated as they spread?"

Hua Xi Wan smiled. However, when she turned her head, she thought, this was such a coincidence. Just as the thunderstorm seemed to be coming, the Crown Princess went into labor. There were so many places the lightning could strike—why did it strike the evergreen tree by the imperial tomb? Also, the buildings had been burned down, but no one had been hurt. It was as though someone had known there would be a fire and saved the people beforehand.

"Bai Xia, when the fire started, who saved the people in the buildings?" Hua Xi Wan covered her lower belly lightly. Today, her monthlies had come. Not only could she not eat ice, she wasn't even allowed to have ice in the room. This was both hot and uncomfortable; she felt uncomfortable all over.

"I heard it was the Guard Office patrol that coincidentally passed by and saved the people. It is a pity that the fire was too strong, and so while the people were saved, the buildings were burned." Bai Xia knew that Hua Xi Wan had a hard time with the heat and got hot water to wipe Hua Xi Wan's hands and face to lower her temperature. She wrung out the handkerchief and handed it to Hua Xi Wan. She continued, "It is so coincidental—this Guard Official patrol used to be under the command of Official Zhang Hou. After Official Zhang Hou went to the Judicial Office, his second-in-command took his spot."

"Zhang Hou?" When this person was mentioned, what Hua Xi Wan thought of first was that honest face and upright figure. "I heard that he was slighted greatly in the Judicial Office. How is he now?"

"A few days ago, someone criticized the Chief Justice. He was stripped of his role and Official Zhang Hou took over. Now he is the Chief Justice." Bai Xia took the handkerchief that Hua Xi Wan had used. "The people all say that Official Zhang is a stupid person but a lucky one. They forget how just a short time ago they laughed that Official Zhang was too stubborn and did not recognize what was good for him."

"People are always like this." After wiping her neck and arms, Hua Xi Wan felt that her body wasn't so sticky anymore. She said in a good mood, "I think that this Zhang Hou has pretty good luck."