14: I will protect you

A/N: Hello, this story is slow-paced. The confrontations between the MC and the heroine may not happen anytime soon because I wanted to really focus on the MC's adventure and her development. I didn't want to make the MC immediately powerful. So, if you're looking for that confrontation then it's not gonna happen anytime soon, sadly :((

(Skiadrum, the black dragon's, POV)

How many years has it been when I was put to sleep?
How many years should I wait for someone to wake me up?

I wouldn't be like this if only I was stronger.
I may be strong but I couldn't protect my master and his family.
What's the use of this strength if I could not even protect the people I cherish?
But no matter how much I contemplate, the past will remain in the past.
I can't undo the things that had already happened.
I only need to move forward.
I need to move on.

So, I hope my new master would have a good personality and I hope they are not greedy.
A human's greed is deadly. A human with so much greed can do anything, as far as killing someone, to get what they want.

But master said the only one who can wake me up is someone like him.
So I guess that person must not be too bad.

————————oOo————————
"Skiadrum, I do not want this kind of life anymore.

"Master? What do you mean?"

We were in prison at that time. I wanted to break out of that goddamn place, it's possible given my strength and my power but I know I shouldn't do it. If we make a move to get out of there, master's family would be in danger.

"I don't want to continue living like this anymore. I love this kingdom so I would do my best to protect it however, I don't want to keep doing this all my life. I also want to have my own family, I want to have kids."

At this moment, I felt master's sadness and sorrows and a little bit of desperation. I wanted to help him but what can I do? If I destroy this prison, his family would die. I want to get him out of this place, fly him to somewhere far and let him live a life he wanted.

"If we get the chance to get out of here without having the risk of your family getting hurt, I will take you to somewhere far where you can start a new life"

"Thank you, Skiadrum. I'm glad to have you"

We stayed at that place for half a year. I thought we would stay there longer and I thought it would be okay to stay longer as long as master's family is okay but we didn't know that we spent a few months in prison for nothing.

"Hey, I really pity the hero who got locked in prison"

"Pity? It's his fault for trying to usurp the throne"

"Hahaha oh come on, we both know that's not true. His majesty planted those evidences"

"Shh, someone might hear you"

When I looked at master at that time, he was clenching his fists. His expressions was that of anger but the most dominant one is sadness, probably because he had never expected the king to betray him.

"I don't know if he's too trusting or just stupid but how can he expect His Majesty to spare his family knowing he could, without hesitation, betray him"

"Hahaha right! poor man's locked in the prison without knowing his family had already died the moment he came back"

"Hahahahahaha shhh lower down your voice"

At that moment, I immediately knew, I knew that greedy king's time is up. I looked at the man beside me and he was shaking.

"Skiadrum"

I didn't need to respond. I knew what he wanted. I transformed into my dragon form and because of how big I was, the prison couldn't contain me thus, it was destroyed. I roared. I roared so loud it caused an earthquake.  An earthquake so strong it destroyed the castle.

The hero went to the king's room and when he came back, he had the king's head on his hands. He displayed that head on the castle gates. A lot of people saw what he had done  and they trembled in fear, afraid that the hero would also take revenge on them.

But he never did.

We went inside a cave just to rest for a bit but I didn't know that was the last time I would ever get too see my master.

"Skiadrum, several years later you will meet a new master. That person is just like me. I hope you would protect that person with all of your heart. Don't think I'm abandoning you, I just want you to become the best and this would only happen when you have the right person by your side. If it's possible, I hope to meet you again. Thank you"

"..Ma..ste..r"

And with that I fell asleep.

————————oOo————————
I noticed bruises on Mira's body so I decided to just do a little peek into her past. What I saw completely infuriated me. She was bullied and abused! She had no one to comfort her. No one who would take her side!

It's them again. I will never forgive those people. That goddamn royal family. Those greedy humans who only want power.

They had hurt my previous master and now they also hurt my new master? I will make them pay.

Let me just give them a taste of my wrath.

I, Skiadrum the black dragon, will never forgive them. I, Skiadrum, will never let anyone hurt my master again. I failed in the past but never again.

This time. Definitely this time.

I will protect you.