Chapter 14

Crowley's POV

I DROVE THE BENTLEY to Aziraphale's shop, blaring music as I weaved through the streets. Harper had called and said that she and Aziraphale had made a significant advancement in their research of the antichrist, so I was going over to hear what it was.

But nothing could've prepared me for what I saw when I arrived.

The entire shop was engulfed in fire, the orange flames still flickering in the breeze. Their bright colours lit up the street with an eerie glow.
I stood there, unable to move, unable to think. Thousands of thoughts span around my mind, while I simultaneously felt numb. I just stood still, the fire roaring in front of me. I couldn't describe how I felt because I myself had no idea. The only thing I was sure of was that Harper had been in that building. And right now she mattered more to me than anyone else ever had, ever.

I ran towards the shop, earning strange looks from all the firemen.

"Are you the owner of this establishment?" One of them asked.

"Do I look like I run a bookshop?!" I yelled, running into the building.

It was difficult to see anything with all of the smoke and rubble but all I was focused on was Harper, she had to be here somewhere.

"For God's......for Satan's......for fucks sake!" I yelled, getting increasingly desperate.

My eyes scanned the ash covered shop, looking for her everywhere. I feared that I would never see her again, but I just couldn't bring myself to think about that. I ran in to every room, I wasn't going to give up.

After what felt like hours of searching, I saw something that vaguely resembled a person: an unconscious body laying on the floor.

Harper.

At first, the worst thought came into my mind, the very thought that I had feared. Death. But, to my total relief, she was still breathing, amongst all the flames, I could still see her face, her eyes.

"Here you are." I whispered, even though she couldn't hear me.

I picked her up and carried in my arms, her head resting on my shoulder. I took her away from all the smoke and fire, away from all the danger.

"I'll get you to hospital, don't worry." I muttered.

I looked down into her brown eyes; unable to put into words the amount of relief I felt.

"I never want to be apart from you." I whispered, finally giving into the honest truth. My mind had been tortured over the past few weeks but now something had changed. I knew how I felt. Almost losing Harper had made it clear. I wasn't like other demons, I knew what it was like to live life, and to care about people. I knew what it was like to care about Harper. She had changed me, and now, after almost losing her forever, I had finally realised it.

-----------

The hours ticked past as Crowley sat on Harper's hospital bed, just watching over her; his uncovered golden eyes glinting. The girl was peacefully lying on the bed in her room, just like she was sleeping. The demon had been there the whole time, he didn't need to eat, drink or sleep so Crowley spent every second waiting for her to wake up.

Crowley was also thinking about Aziraphale, after all, he was his best friend. The demon figured that the wise angel had probably gone off to the Heaven Head Office to escape the fire but he still wanted to know that Aziraphale was alright too.

Crowley looked down at Harper, as she slept, she looked so calm, like her worries and anxieties could reach her anymore.

Suddenly Crowley noticed something: her eyelids began to flutter. It was only small but it was a sign that she was almost able to wake up.

A gentle voice suddenly started to whisper. "Crowley?" The girl asked sleepily.

"Harper," The demon said, breathlessly.

"Crowley, am I alive?" She whispered.

"Yes." The demon replied quietly. "Yes, yes you are very much alive." He spoke quickly as he began smiling.

Harper let out a small gasp, the seriousness of the situation sinking in. Crowley was the reason that she was still breathing.

"Thank you" She whispered.

"Anytime."

Harper smiled, she really meant what she said. The girl slowly sat up with another smile at the demon and looked into his amber eyes.

"Thank you for saving my life." She repeated.

The two sat there under the bright hospital lights just looking at each other, slowly believing the reality of the situation. Harper reached over and tentatively wrapped her arms around the demon, bringing him closer to her. A few weeks ago, Crowley would've jolted away anyone who tried to embrace him, but now it was different. He was different. He didn't live like the demons of Hell, he lived like a human. He cried and laughed and did it all with an endearing swagger. And most importantly, he loved his life.

Crowley reached his arms over and hugged Harper back, saving the moment. Harper rested her head on Crowley's shoulder and the two stayed like that for what seemed like ages, just enjoying the other's company. The way Crowley's body pressed against Harper's made her heart pound in her chest but instead of doubting and suppressing the feeling, Harper welcomed it, and pulled the demon even closer towards her.

Two hours later and Crowley and Harper had left the hospital. Currently, they were in the Bentley driving back to Aziraphale's shop and listening to the usual Queen songs on the radio. Harper was quietly humming along, my mind still racing from everything that had happened.

"Do you think we will find Aziraphale?" she said, just voicing her thoughts.

"Don't worry, Angel is probably off having tea somewhere." The demon laughed, causing her to smile.

"I know, he's probably alright, it's just, I need to know for certain. Aziraphale's been so kind to me, and I feel like I've done nothing in return."

"Harper, you have changed mine and Aziraphale's lives so much for the better. Don't you ever say that you've done nothing for us."

"Thank you." she whispered to him.

"Anytime."

The pair drove back mainly in a peaceful silence, with just the sound of Crazy Little Thing Called Love playing in the background.

Hi, all I hope you are enjoying this book so far!! And hopefully you liked this chapter, I wanted to write the last scene in 3rd person POV because I thought it worked better :)