Chapter 26

Harper's POV

I had to do something. Crowley was on a trial, which currently would most likely lead to his death. I tried to shake that thought out of my head but it kept coming back. I couldn't imagine my life without Crowley, especially after everything we had been through together. My mind flashed back to the moment when I first met him and Aziraphale in the satanic nun's convent. We had both changed so much since then.

I crept down the stone corridor as quietly as I could, holding my breath as if it would help. My heart was pounding in my chest as real fear rushed through me.

The long corridor eventually came to an end at a huge stone door - the very door that stood between me, Crowley and a room of vile demons.

"Everybody, take your seats." I heard Beelzebub's raspy voice echo throughout the building. I heard lots of shuffling around and the occasional grunt; not unexpected from a crowd of demons. Then the noise died down. A creepy silence filled my ears. It was almost like the whole scene had been put on mute.

Then, I heard whispering, lots of it. But I couldn't make out what was said. I couldn't tell if it was about Crowley, or even me.

I pressed my hand gently on the stone door, desperate to know what was happening. When the door didn't creak, I pushed against it harder. Still no noise. For a final time, I pressed against the door, trying to open it just a bit so I could sneak through.

Creak.

It made the loudest, most horrible noise you could ever imagine.

My breath froze in my lungs and I heart hammered against my rib cage. This was it: the day I would die.

I heard someone walking along the concrete floor, their shoes making a defined 'clack' along the slabs.

There was no where to hid. No where to run. I just had to hope that they wouldn't kill me right then and there.

The door slowly opened and I held my breath. It swung open to reveal the sneering face of Lord Beelzebub, flies constantly buzzing around their hair. The Lord gave me a sickening smile of twisted joy, sticking out their yellow-stained teeth.

"Well well well, if it isn't the human that turned Crowley all SOFT!" Beelzebub unexpectedly shouted the last word, making me jump. The Lord gave a devilish cackle and grabbed my arm forcefully, pulling me into the centre of the large, echoing courtroom.

"Behold, everyone, it's the beautiful, stunning Harper Oakley." Beelzebub mocked, causing all the other demons to laugh maliciously.

At that moment, I felt so small and stupid.

I was in a room with thousands of disgusting creatures, all their eyes fixed on me. And, I was being mocked and made fun of by perhaps the most disgusting of them all.

I looked around and saw Crowley bound tightly to a chair. His eyes were sad and they begged me to forgive him, forgive him for pulling me into this horrible situation. I tried to smile to let him know that I was alright but I couldn't, not when he looked so upset. It tore me apart to see him look so helpless.

It was at that moment that I remember thinking what if I don't make it out alive? What if only one of us does? Will I be able to live a life like that?

I didn't even realised when someone grabbed me by the shoulders, tugging me to the edge of the room and holding me there. I suddenly snapped out of my thoughts and whipped my head around, only to be met with those ruthless blood red eyes.

The vampiric demon held me tightly with a sickening sneer. I tried to shake free but even if I did, I would have no where to run.

"Oh don't struggle my darling." He spoke with a smooth accent but the words sounded vile coming out of his mouth. "There is no point. You and your beloved will be dead in less than an hour. Why waste your energy when you could just accept it."

He grinned down at me, displaying his perfect white teeth. I shivered under his gaze, I had never felt more scared or uncomfortable in my life.

Crowley, however, was glaringly so forcefully at Aro for even laying so much as a finger on me. If he wasn't tied down, who knows what he would've done. I tried to tell Crowley that it was alright but as soon as he caught my eye, Beelzebub walked back into the middle of the room and addressed the crowd of hellish creatures.

"Now, to begin the trial of the traitorous demon, Crowley." They said, causing a loud cheer from the crowd.