Dusk (Pt. 3)

○•

 Katsuki led the way down the stairwell and to Deku’s apartment. He attempted, futilely, to stomp out the thoughts of, ‘I’m literal human fucking garbage’ and the unwanted, invasive images his mind kept conjuring up of a broken, sobbing Deku ripping into his own arms. It was lucky he knew the nerd’s apartment number by heart, otherwise he’d just be wandering around aimlessly, his auto-pilot going awry as he lost himself in his head.

 Deku stepped in front of him briefly when they got to the door to unlock it, but then Katsuki was yanking him behind himself once again.

 He wanted to make sure Deku wouldn’t be getting the first hit in the event that Hisashi was awake and frothing at the mouth. Also, nobody was allowed to walk in front of him, and Deku was no exception to that rule- apparent crush or not.

 Ugh, crush. He hated that word.

 When they entered the house, and all remained quiet, they breathed a simultaneous sigh of relief.

 Walking the short distance down the hallway to the bathroom, Katsuki found himself repeatedly glancing at the walls around them- at what was once an expanse of family portraits and memorabilia, now left barren. Cracks and holes from Hisashi’s fist replaced them, were all that was left to decorate Deku’s home, and the thought made him sick with guilt and fury.

 Deku didn't deserve this. He didn't deserve any of the shit he got and yet what did Katsuki do? Tormented him for years and told him he didn't care about him at the worst possible time. Made him relapse on a horrible habit that had already done too much damage. Katsuki scowled and averted his eyes.

 Bandages, antibiotics, medical tape, and an assortment of other things Katsuki was fairly sure they didn’t actually need were gathered by an anxious Deku the moment they entered the bathroom.

 “I can’t believe you punched the roof like that. What were you thinking? Your knuckles must hurt so bad!” he chided as he laid out the items he’d gathered next to the sink. He gave a little ‘tut-tut’ and then he was at Katsuki’s side, taking his scraped, beaten up hand in his own and wiping the wounds clean. “You don’t want me to hurt myself, Kacchan, and I don’t want you to inflict harm on yourself either. Please don’t punch another roof. Or any hard surface, if you don’t have to.”

 “Don’t tell me what to do.”

 “Kacchan.”

 “...Fine, whatever.”

 With a satisfied hum, Deku applied the last bandaid, pressing it into his skin as delicately as you’d cradle a porcelain doll. Katsuki scowled at the thought of being babied, but discarded the notion of taking any action when he caught the glint of relief in Deku’s forest green eyes.