A Break in the Clouds (Pt. 1)

“... What?!”

 Izuku snapped up like a slingshot, back hitting the bathroom cabinet. Kacchan wanted Izuku to live with him? Like roommates?!

 “You fuckin’ heard me!” Kacchan groused, folding his arms over his chest petulantly. “What, you saying you’d rather stay here with that bastard than live with me?”

  “No, I just… I mean, have you really thought this through? What will your parents say? What will my mom say? And I can’t just leave her here with Hisashi! What if he starts hitting her?!” Izuku would never forgive himself if Inko got hurt because of him. The entire reason he’d held on so long — put up with the beatings, the belittlement — was so that his mother could keep smiling.

 “Idiot, don’t worry about my parents. I could say you were hiding from the government and they’d be too excited to give a shit. I’ll figure out something to tell them. And isn’t your mom gone all the time? She won’t even be here to get hit, not that I think she would anyway. Hisashi’s at least smart enough to know any bruises on her will be noticed, and she wouldn’t just sit there and take it like you do. She’d go to the police immediately.”

 Kacchan seemed so confident as he said the words, and Izuku knew he was right, but even so… it made him uneasy, just leaving her like that.

 His anxiousness must’ve shown on his face, because then there was a warm weight settling atop his curls, a dramatic sigh pushing past Kacchan’s lips. “Stop stressing out, nerd. We can call her and check in regularly. Besides, this is only temporary. You’re just staying with me until we can find a better solution to this whole mess.”

 Izuku hummed, thinking it over briefly. Admittedly, staying with Kacchan was a rather enticing offer. He’d get to return to a safe place after work, get to walk down hallways without the fear of dark eyes seeking him out, and eat without rationing first. It sounded like heaven. And while he was apprehensive about leaving his mother alone, he knew that, realistically, it wouldn’t make much of a difference. They hardly ever saw each other, and when they did, it was late at night, after Hisashi had already left.

 “Let me protect you.” Kacchan insisted, eyes full of roiling lava that gazed imploringly at him, urging him to accept, but tender all the same. A promise.

 A drawn out breath extracted itself from his lungs. “O-Okay.”

 “Okay?” Kacchan raised his eyebrow.

 “Y-Yeah. Okay. I’ll… come stay with you, Kacchan.”

 “Good. Get packin’ then.”