Bloom (Pt. 2)

As soon as they got into Kacchan’s room, Izuku’s childhood friend was whirling around on him, pinning him to the spot with a dart-like glare.

 “You don’t wanna tell your mom? Fine, whatever.” Kacchan rumbled, stepping closer. “But why the hell would you neglect to inform the number one hero? Who is already completely invested in your health?!”

 Izuku backed up, trading steps with Kacchan till his calves hit the bedside. “I-I j-just—”

 “You just what? How could you be such an idiot? What, you don’t trust All Might, is that it?”

 “No! That’s not it! I… why do you even care so much about this, Kacchan? Why are you so angry?”

 “Because you’re letting yourself get hurt! It’s like you don’t even fucking care what happens to you!”

 “K-Kacchan, that’s not…” Izuku took in Kacchan’s bowed shoulders, bending under the weight of something unseen, the frown that attempted to look menacing but came up pitiful, his pupils that bored so intently into his own in a desperate attempt to pierce through all the walls Izuku had put up, and threaded his fingers with Kacchan’s before he had a chance to consider the consequences. “That’s not it, either.”

 Fully expecting his hands to be yanked from their grasp when it dawned on Izuku what he’d just done, he was astonished to find the hands in his simply squeeze tighter.

 “Then why won’t you tell him?” Kacchan asked, softer this time.

 Sweat pooled in the dips in Izuku’s palms as he pondered the question, feet shifting his body weight left and right, left and right. “I… I’m scared, Kacchan…”

 “Scared of what? He’s All Might. If anyone could get you out of this situation, it’s him.”

 “I know. But my dream is so close now, Kacchan. I’m gonna be a hero. All Might has chosen me, of all people, to lead Japan’s next generation into a new era of peace. It’s— it’s a huge responsibility, and I’m afraid that if he finds out about all my problems, how weak I’ve been…”

 “...he’ll change his mind on giving you One For All.” Kacchan finished for him.

 Izuku nodded. “Plus, Hisashi returning seemed to make my mom happy. I’ve already taken so much from her just by existing, I don’t want to take this from her too.”