A Constellation of You (Pt. 2)

Izuku zoned out hard. From the beginning of homeroom- after ambling in late and awkwardly explaining himself to their teacher- to the bell signaling lunch, Izuku was lost in his head. He hadn’t a single idea what the day’s lecture had been about or what their homework was and the lines on his notebook page were woefully blank.

 When the bell rang, Izuku startled so bad he rammed his knee up into his wooden desk and attracted looks from every pair of eyes in the room. He burned pink in embarrassment and limped out of the classroom as quickly as he could.

  He spaced out once again as he made his way into the lunchroom, his limbs working entirely on auto-pilot as he hurried his way through the line and to the roof where he could be alone. The world was a blur as he went through the daily, monotonous motions, the people and objects in his peripheral just indiscriminate blobs that filled his line of sight like the foliage in a bouquet.

 He wondered if this was what it was like to have actual rain clouds in your head.

 Izuku yelped when he finally plopped down on the roof only to see someone else sit next to him at the same time.

 “K-Kacchan?!”

 “What, nerd?” Kacchan groused. He was leant forward as he started picking at his lunch, but his crimson eyes were on Izuku, scouring his features in a way that made him feel like he was being dissected.

 “When did you get here? And why…?”

 Kacchan’s face screwed up in confusion. “Hah? I’ve been walking with you this whole time!”

 “Y-You have?!” There was no way! Izuku surely would’ve noticed!

 “What, you saying you didn’t see or hear me that whole fuckin’ time? I was in line with you!”

 “I-I didn’t notice…” Izuku’s voice was soft, sad, as he tilted his head down, nose pink from the biting wind that swept over the rooftop. Kacchan watched him soundlessly, expression unusually relaxed.

 “You seem worse today.” Kacchan told him, as unwaveringly certain as ever.

 “I do?” Izuku asked sheepishly, smile nervous. Kacchan huffed and flicked him on the forehead.

 “Don’t play dumb with me, nerd-ass. Just tell me what happened.”