First Flowers of Spring (Pt. 3)

Izuku plastered a smile on his face as a young woman strode up to the counter. Her straight blonde hair was pulled back into a messy, low ponytail, some strands falling into her face as she set a pack of lighters and condoms down onto the countertop. She rummaged through her purse, presumably for her wallet- an unlit cigarette hanging loosely from her lips. Izuku hated encounters like this. He wasn’t judging; he didn’t know enough about her to be able to make any assumptions, but he always felt so anxious ringing people up when they looked like they were constantly recovering from a bad hangover. He was scared to make her angry by talking too loud, going too slow, or any number of different things. Plus, he was always nervous about accidentally making things awkward when he inevitably blushed grabbing the box of condoms.

 Izuku got to work running her items over the scanner, ignoring the heat of embarrassment beneath his skin when he grabbed the condoms, and managed to tell her the price without stuttering too badly. Luckily, she didn’t seem annoyed- or if she was, she wasn’t showing it. She simply handed over a 1000 yen bill and left without waiting to get her change back. The greenette sighed with relief as the glass door closed behind her and he was left alone in the shop once again.

 Socializing always gave him such anxiety, and he didn’t know why.

 Was it just the way he was? A part of being depressed? A result of all the bullying over the years? Perhaps a mix of all three? He wasn’t sure.

 The chime above the door dinged, and Izuku stood up straighter, ready to welcome the next customer. Instead, a was blessed with the sight of a familiar face.

 “Kacchan!” Izuku called happily, earning a small frown in return.

 “Hey, nerd. I got your stuff.” Kacchan said, making his way over to the counter. Izuku quickly shuffled out from behind it and grabbed an extra stool from beneath his workstation, dragging it out to the front next to the wall so Kacchan could sit. The blonde plopped down on the brown, cushioned stool and placed both his and Izuku’s bags on the hard surface of the countertop. Izuku went back around to his side and sat down in a stool of his own, ready to learn as much from Kacchan as he could.

 He didn’t notice how stiff Kacchan was as he began to ramble, too focused on pulling things out of his backpack. “I’m so grateful to you, Kacchan! I didn’t know what I was going to do!”

 “Deku-”

 “I really tried not to fall asleep in class, but I couldn’t help it! One second, I was looking at the board, and the next my head was on my desk,”

 “De-”

 “My notes are so horrible, too! There are so many blank spots… say, could I copy your notes too, Kacchan? That way I can study more at h-”

  “Izuku!” Kacchan bellowed. Izuku snapped his head up at the sound of his real name and took note for the first time of the serious look on Kacchan’s face.