Sun on the Horizon (Pt.1)

Something smelled like disinfectant. His head was so heavy, like someone had pumped it full of smog, and the strong smell pierced through his muddled senses like a bullet. Then his eyes opened a sliver and he took in the pale white walls, the single bright light hanging above his head, and the two blobs hunched at his bedside.

 The blobs came into focus after a moment, and Izuku recognized them as Kacchan and his mom. They hadn’t noticed him yet, too engrossed in conversation, and Izuku took the chance to gather more information.

 He couldn’t remember where he was or how he got there. He had an image of Kacchan above him, tearful and consumed with a fear he’d only ever seen once before, when he’d thought Izuku was going to jump. But that was all.

 Glancing at Kacchan now, he could see the faint, red swelling left by too many tears and the lines of exhaustion weighing on his pretty ruby eyes. His mother didn’t look any better.

 Izuku frowned. Why did they both look so worn out and sad?

 “Thank you, Tsukauchi. It’s because of you this case is moving as quickly as it is.” All Might’s voice reverberated from somewhere in the room.

 “Ah, but it’s because of you I’m able to do anything at all,” another, unfamiliar voice spoke back.

 “We could’ve done this a long time ago if I’d just…”

 “Don’t think like that. We got him. You just have to be better from here on out, right?”

 There was a long pause of silence, and then a sigh. “Don’t beat yourself up over this too much, alright? That boy still needs saving, and you’re the closest thing to a father he has.”

 “Yes, yes, I… I know. I can only hope he forgives me after this, I’ve already failed him in so many ways. I want to be someone he can rely on.”

 “And you will be, Toshinori. I’ve gotta get back to the precinct, but let me know what the doctor says, all right?”

 “Of course.”

 The thumping of receding footsteps echoed off the walls and then a door shut, leaving Izuku to rummage through all the little clues bouncing about his head.

  Doctor… so I’m in a hospital. No wonder everything smells like disinfectant. And All Might was talking to… someone? The man said he had to go back to the precinct, so a cop? And Kacchan and Mom both looked like they just witnessed something horrib…

 All at once, it all came rushing back.

 Running excitedly to the house. Stopping by a flower stall on the way there to grab a bouquet for his mother. Jogging up the steps and entering the house. That blissful moment where everything was fine, when his mom turned away from setting the table with a brilliant smile and called out to him, “Welcome home, Izuku!”

 And the instant it all came crashing down, when his father had shot up from the couch, bellowing in a murderous tone he’d never heard before, “Izuku?! That little brat decided to rear his ugly head, huh? Crawling back after running away with your tail between your legs, are you, you worthless runt?!” and all the excruciating seconds after, when he’d gone berserk and sent Izuku crashing to the ground with one brutal punch to the temple.

 His mother’s horrified scream shook his ear drums all over again.

 The memories had panic crackling through him like a lightning bolt.

  No, I'm okay, he soothed himself. He was okay, now. He was in a hospital with All Might, Kacchan, his mom, and dozens of doctors. Nothing was going to jump out from behind a medical tarp and ruin his day. He breathed out as he relaxed.

 Kacchan and Inko startled at the sound and after a tick of quiet surprise they were crowding him, pained and worried looks on their respective faces, hands squeezing his and caressing his cheeks, soft coos and whispers and reassurances ghosting over his ears.

 “Oh, my baby, my poor, sweet baby... I love you so much,” his mother cried, letting go of his hand to cradle his head. “We’ve been so worried, I’m just so glad you’re awake. I was so s-scared and I couldn’t— there was nothing I could do, I just—” a choked sob surfaced from the depths of her throat.

 Izuku brought a shaky hand up to thread through her long hair, half of which was tied up messily in a haphazard bun. “I-I’m okay, Mom. I’m okay, I’m right here.” His throat was scratchy and the words came out rough, but they seemed to help placate her anyway, at least temporarily. She ducked her head, sniffled, and after a few seconds of just holding him close stood straight.

 “I’m going to go tell the doctor you’re awake and bring you some water, okay, baby? And I’ll give you some time to get oriented but… we’re going to need to talk soon, sweetheart.”

 Swallowing thickly, Izuku nodded.