Chapter 5: Silent

*A Few Days Later*

Athanasia was left alone in the tower, the only time where she can practice her magic without being interrupted. However, that idea flew over her head as she focused on exploring the tower and reading books, even writing sometimes.

Needless to say, it was a daily activity that she always does ever since she came but this time without having to battle for her life every night!

Then the owner came back and to his surprise, she obeyed. Expecting some sort of collision or disruption to his barrier. Everything seemed untouched and the mood was calm.

"Oh, you're back!" She greets him in his laboratory where she was just taking some books. "How was your trip?"

He stared at her in astonishment as he took off his hood. "Did anything happen while I was away?" He asked a question and it was random in his opinion. He doesn't need to ask things like this if he can just use his magic.

"Uhhh. Not really" She thinks of nothing at the moment. It was just boredom and unable to escape to the bottom floor because it was just endless stairs no matter how many steps she took. It wouldn't stop and she even considered throwing herself down. "I learned some basic magic" She exclaimed brightly in pride.

"Seriously?" He was baffled and she nodded. "And you didn't explode?"

"Explode?!" She gasped and turned pale. "What do you mean?"

"How should I say this?" He rubbed his chin as he thought. "Your mana is unstable and surprisingly, you're not dead yet. You shouldn't be alive with your current condition but, luckily  you're a strange case"

"..." She was aghast and let her mind wander into the galaxy of the universe.

***

Night falls and she waits inside her room, preparing for him to come and cast a spell on her. However, it was different today.

It was quiet... too quiet.

'Is he late?'

She stares out the window to track time by looking at the position of the moon. An hour or 2 went by and soon an exhausted yawn slips out of her mouth. Becoming drowsy under the light of the burning candlewick on her desk.

He never came and she felt glad about it. Probably tired from his business trip she thought as she finally goes to sleep on the floor with her cozy blanket. This time she finally has a pillow!

Content with spawning stuff with her magic in secret but not enough power to make it last just like her broom.

".... I miss my bed" She whined and snuggled into her blanket under the moonlight. "... But I don't miss my home"

'.... I don't mind staying here'

She snoozes off and begins to dream. A normal vivid imagination where her desire is fulfilled for the first time.

The day and night went by normally. The only strange part to her is that he stopped visiting to torture her with the daily testing. She should be relieved that it stopped only for a moment but it only feeds her concern. Wondering what he has in plan next.

*Flashback*

It's chaos in the palace. The night is loud and people are busy.

Athanasia runs back to her room in tears while everyone ignores her. Only Lily was there to comfort her while she mourns, heartbroken, and in despair.

"Lily, I didn't do it!" She hugged her tight and Lily pats her back, reassuring everything will be fine. "I-I wouldn't poison sister! But nobody believes me!"