Chapter 15: Huh

After that festive night, everything had changed. Not really.

They were back to where they were.

Athanasia had finally finished her 100 book task and earned the waste of time achievement. Lucas also finished his research of making better and efficient spells that he could work with ease. The duo was on a different path to success but conflict stands in their way.

"Have you heard? The great empire, Obelia, is in chaos right now"

A tiny whisper reaches Athansaia's sharp ear thanks to her enhanced senses. A piece of information that has become known to her after many weeks. It shocks her to the core, stunned and distraught.

'What?'

How is that possible? Did something terrible happen when she was away?

"The emperor has collapsed thus the princess is becoming his temporary aide for the time being"

At first, Athanasia was afraid and concerned for the empire, then let out a sigh of relief upon hearing the quick and logical solution to the problem. She was worried that the people were suffering but instead, they merely had replaced the ruler. It's been a year since she left Obelia and never came back.

Jennette, her half-sister. 

The memory was faint but she remembers her clearly in the mind. Athanasia helped her fix her etiquette and showed her the ways of the palace so she wouldn't make a fool of herself. Although very clumsy and a slow-learner, maybe a tad half-witted, Athanasia trusts that Jennette will be able to adapt to her new position.

After all, she's bound to inherit the throne now so it's only logical to assign her special royal classes.

"But the pr-"

"Miss, are you going to go or not?" The madam asked the blank young adult lady standing in front of her store.

"Uh." She draws back from eavesdropping on a conversation that somehow caught her attention. Flustered and humiliated, she takes her items and wanders around alone. Comparing the normal everyday streets to that one night she cherished.

It has been some time after that special day and it never seems to leave her mind. Mainly because of the kind behavior Lucas conveyed toward her for that night. He let her explore, bought whatever, danced, and even stayed with her after the end to watch the moon. Also, the 100 book assignments that she couldn't finish in time was delayed so she would attend in time.

Oh, how weirdly soft that was to make her heart melt with warmth. She never experienced such gentle feelings that made her feel... nice.

'For a teacher-student relationship, he sure does treat me well'

She envisions him being a possible parent though the imagination would end with a quickfire that engulfs the whole thought. She was quite disturbed by it and sullen with a stone face, walking back to the alley so she could go to work.

'I hope that man never approach a baby or child'

***

"Hmmmm..." Athanasia sits at her desk, spacing out and muddled with thoughts that occupy her mind.

The topic of Obelia only grows more and more each day she passes by the town. The concern gets bigger and the problem only gets worse. She wanted to trust the process that Jennette will eventually reign and stabilize the empire. However, she's only been hearing that her fiance takes care of it.

It bothers her really. Shouldn't she adapt to the position by now? Or is she still learning?

Many questions ponder around inside her head, oblivious to the person that watches over her shoulder. Seeing that she's doing nothing but hovering a quill pen over a blank paper.