Chapter 34: Relinquished

With the princess awake, the scheme can proceed but there were some risks that they cannot take and had to discuss. A revolt against the villain that tries to take back the throne, can be handled sloppily or smoothly. But the most appealing strategy is to rush it and get it over with.

Everyone was relieved and cried tears of joy to find their princess awake but Athanasia advised them to keep a secret because it'll cause more trouble if he were to find out. The situation needed to be settled immediately.

Though before that could happen, they needed to revise and made sure everything would go as planned enough. It's the night before the day where all nobles gather in one room, a meeting where the man should talk further about gaining the throne. They would bargain before he could and exposed his crimes including the curse he cast upon the emperor and the princess. Unfortunately, Jennette will also be tried for her actions and thus, her reputation will be affected.

"Lucas, are you sure you will only apprehend him and lock him up? No more than that?" The princess had to confirm that the warlock won't go crazy and slaughter everyone by accident. For a man who has the ability to burn down the whole empire, who knows if he just loses control and destroys everything which will ruin the plan?

"I'll try my best to refrain from murdering him but it'll be difficult after what he did to you" He exclaimed hoarsely with a rasp, grimace a little with a gloomy aura growing out of him. Utterly pissed off that the man that he ignored managed to cause this much chaos and nearly stole everything from him. "I can take care of him easily. What are you going to do?"

"Well obviously, I'll put him on trial along with the other traitors. Punish them according to the law but.... I'll give Jennette something different"

"What? Are you insane?" He retorts with a growl. "She was about to give you a cursed ribbon and pinned it on your best friend"

It's a tactic that kills two birds with one stone if it weren't for Helena's intuition that would soon save them all.

"But she's also innocent. Manipulation isn't a surprise at this point" Athanasia defends which only angers Lucas as he puts on a nasty scowl. He's aware of her kind soul but didn't expect she would be this soft. It's ridiculous and surprisingly amazing at the same time to witness this tolerance.

"..... Sigh, as long as she goes through the trial and everything is back to normal again" He accepts it and decides not to argue. Athanasia's mind will never change nonetheless. "...." He still grumbles with a big frown on his face, grumpy and upset. It bothers him a lot, well a lot of things were. The imperial drama, the wretched curse, her gold-heart, and even the dream. He saw her and his dream self nearly kissed just before she woke up. It was a horrifying scene to watch when his dream self almost married someone else.

".... What's wrong?" Athanasia cannot ignore the menacing look on his face as he faced away from her.

"Nothing. It bothers me that we have to go through so much because of a clumsy person" He scoffs, crossing his arms and slouching back into the couch.

"Lucas, it'll be over before you even know it" She mumbled with a wheeze. "At least I'm back right?" Her hand reached to his shoulder as she leaned against his back with her chest pressing against it.

"Yes, that's the only good part though it wouldn't have happened if we stayed in the tower or left earlier" He exclaims, still looking away and her arms wrap around him. "But I'm glad you're awake and I came back in time" He turns around and hugs her back, tight and firm so she wouldn't escape. Athanasia lets out a giggle and embraces her lover with open arms while the gap between them closes. Exchanging warmth and affection, the couple were finally back together and happy once again.