Chapter 29: Different

When did it all start? A question that she would think to herself at least once in her lifetime.

Born and raised in an isolated palace with no family nor love. Dedicating her whole life to knowledge with one motive. She didn't have the same interests as her peers that liked to talk about fashion and looks, mostly about men and partners. She has never touched that topic and it slips through her mind naturally.

With dull and blind eyes, she never thought of what is considered attractive or beautiful. Her brain is always on books and her desire remains the same. Romance and relationship never crossed her mind ever. Feelings are hard to understand and describe.

It was only then she experienced despair and heartbreak. The start of her emotional journey as she discovers more and opens her door. The light that has entered in her dark world, she soon became the moon that brightens up her life. Before, it was just fear, misery, suffering, and defeat. But after giving up and letting go of her one desire, she released the chains that held her down.

She discovers pride, disgust, anger, pleasure, and joy. That was more than enough however life is full of surprises as she draws in something that came out of nowhere. A feeling that is similar to her desire but more. The warmth that makes her heart burst with joy and fills her chest. Something much better and might be one of the best things to ever happen to her.

Athanasia lived through a life of tragedy and torment until she finally found happiness and her world. It was-

"Helena, how would you describe this feeling?" Athanasia was having a normal tea party with her best friend. Taking a break in the garden and asking for her review of the book before she gives it to Jennette. Instead, the princess approaches her with one question as she tells her current situation in hopes that the unofficial matchmaker will perform a miracle.

"Princess, I'm single and never once fell in deep"

"What about those times when you were expressing your admiration toward those male leads in the books?"

"That.... That doesn't count" Helena felt a stab in the back and glowered at the princess who is shockingly confused about her own romantic life. "Your Highness, it's love. End of discussion"

"Seriously, just one word is not enough"

"But it generalizes the feeling! The word can be simple and basic but at least acknowledge it and recognize it truthfully!" Helena fumes with frustration, exasperated and scorning at her.

"Hmmmm. I don't know..." Athanasia rubbed her chin and hummed to herself while Helena facepalms in disappointment, tired of her brain, and had this scary motive to go back to work. This is causing her more stress than writing those documents. "Doesn't your brother say it to his exes at least once?"

"He may be a player but he's also not a liar" Helena sighs and leans her elbow on the table, glancing to the side and thinking about her brother. "He's not the type to easily confess those words nor does he even fall for them. He tends to break up before it gets too bad"

"Ehhhh, are you sure you never fell in love? How about a little crush?"

"As much as I want to say it. I value my own life more than anything else in the world" Helena bluntly replied and Athanasia got a hint of what she meant. "It's fortunate that you revealed your relationship before I fell too deep and experienced heartbreak." She is once again reminded of her own brother and felt a jab in her chest when that memory came back. "But other than him, I have a crush on the young lord from the Zaiver Household"

"How does it feel?"

"Your Highness, doesn't your heart race and you get a warm fluttery feeling that only the warlock causes?"