Side Story: Friends? Friends.

"So how is Jennette doing? I assume that she's doing fine right?" Helena asked while relaxing in the garden. Not just any garden but the one that she made most memories in. The garden that she escapes to and cries before going back to work or getting dragged back.

It's only been a few months after the exile and the two cooperated in protecting Jennette from the emperor and keeping her safe in Arlanta. Jennette was traumatized after that banishment but thankfully, she managed to recover and now is in a process of healing. A mage would check in with her once in a while and a trait of hers changed that shocked everyone. Everyone would've thought it would be a tragedy but instead, Jennette thought it was a blessing.

A chance precisely in life to start all over.

"She just enrolled in an academy and should be doing well from that point on" Ezekiel calmly informed with a smile and looked at the sky.

"That's great"

Helena lets out a big exhale of relief and smiles widely, taking a deep breath of the fresh air as the wind breezes on her face. He took a peek and grinned when she was smiling for once after so long. Helena suffered so much when she got dragged into the imperial mess but never left and stayed. Although it wasn't her duty, the lady tried her best and prevailed. He admired her courage.

"So do you have any plans after this?"

"Ha... I have to talk to my parents and my brother is courting again" Helena mumbled. "Speaking of courting, when are you going to find your significant other? It's about time you find someone"

".... It's none of your business"

"Sorry for being nosy but you haven't been the same after the princess woke up. Or maybe when you broke up with Jennette?" Helena rubbed her chin and contemplated it. She took her role as matchmaker way too serious now and was happy to discover his deep secret. But she felt like she had lost her talent over time when she could no longer read him. "Are you sad?"

"What makes you think that?" He chuckled.

"Arghhh, I don't know but if you need anything. You can always ask me"

"... No need, I don't want your help any longer," He said. Last time he accepted it, he lost something as a price and realized it all too late. He didn't want to make another mistake although it won't help either way.

"... So... do you have a type?" Helena asked and he put on a weird face, baffled and judging her. "H-Hey! I just want to help you!" She pouts with a frown and glares menacing and he keeps his grin. A crease forms between her eyebrows and she squints her eyes at him. He's strangely entertained yet he's not happy but also not sad. It's a combination of both. "... So do you not have someone you like other than the princess that is now married?"

"... Remember when you told me what love is or what could be like?" He asked and she nodded her head, her eyes wandering to the star as they reminisced about that one deep conversation. "... I think I experienced something familiar but it never stood out to me"

".... Hmmmmm, so what happened?"

"Let's just say it was too late or more like it was never meant to be." He thought he was pitiful and laughed off the miserable feeling. His expression darkens and his grin turns crooked.

".... ah...." Helena mumbled, realizing what he meant but then an idea popped in her head and she looked at him in the eyes. "But did you bother fighting?"

"No"

"That's the problem! You gave up too early!" She shames him and shakes her head in disapproval. Seems like he's still a coward even after all the crazy mess that happened. "You should be persuading and chasing after her!"