Chapter 22: Reconsideration

AN: All i know is pain from this chapter... but yeah,

———————————————————————————

The grandfather clock ticks and the sun still soar in the sky but it turns orange soon. The Topaz Palace remains tranquil and serene at the moment. The hallway is cleaned and the room is organized. The servants work outside or take breaks on the other side. It was a peaceful environment.

In the main bedroom lies a sleeping princess in her bed. She laid comfortably under the blanket, sleeping calmly without any trouble. The air is stable and breathing normally. Athanasia was resting and living in the dream world for a while.

Then her eyelids flicker open and she stares at the ceiling blankly.

".... uh" She murmurs, perplexed and dumbfounded while her brain still struggles to process the current situation.

"You're awake now?" A voice startles her and she turns to the person sitting by her bed. He was sitting in a chair, crossing his arms with a weird grumpy expression.

"... Lucas?" She rubbed her eyes while sitting up, the sunlight shone onto her face and she massaged her temples restlessly. "What happened?"

"You took a long nap" He muttered with a scoff and she gazed at him in a daze. Thinking back to her memory and he spoke. "You called me and then fainted"

"I... did?" She snaps out of it and finally regains full consciousness. He nodded and scooted closer to her as he pressed a hand on her forehead. Checking her temperature and she furrows her brows in bewilderment at his action.

"Then I carried you here"

"You did?" She remarked in stupefaction and then the incident popped into her mind. The last thing she remembered was dozing off after being relieved of her pain. Sleeping right in his arms and he claims to bring her back. That would mean... "Wait! Lucas! Where are the others?!"

She flushed at the event of him princess-carrying her back to her room. Then gets embarrassed of the sight especially when he had to bring her back to her servants. Lily is probably dying at this point after seeing this.

"Outside, in the other room. Talking about us" He leaned on one side of her face and whispered hoarsely. "They already know so they won't disturb us any time soon" A chuckle rings and blood rushed to her cheeks as she pushed him away.

"Lucas!" She shouted with a sneer and he snorts with a sly smirk.

"What? It's the truth" He grabbed her hands that were pushing him away and  put them under his chin. "I was surprised that they advised me to stay"

"T-They did?" She stuttered in bafflement and he drew closer.

"Yes, apparently." He said. "You were ok a moment ago but you're burning up now. I suggest that you rest and I volunteer to take care of you"

"Stop joking around! I'm fine!" She puffs her cheeks and yanks her hands back, glaring in irritation while he beams mischievously at her. "Anyway since I'm awake, you don't need to be here anymore so go to work"

"I'm afraid that is impossible," He tells her and she asks why. "You collapse because I left you alone for too long. So it's better if I stay by your side and protect you"

"Lucas...." She sighed with a sullen face. "I'm grateful for what you did for me but I'm sure nothing horrible will happen to me. This recent blackout was probably due to the lack of rest and overworking myself." She tries to reassure and he sits back, staring right into her jewel pupil with a piercing gaze.