Chapter 8: Reality

~ Athanasia POV ~ 

It's been some days and I don't know how to feel about the current mood. Especially when there's an elephant in the tower. In other words, Lucas is a bit... distant now. Even more than before when we first met. As if the wall between us has been reinforced and thickened.

I came to visit him in the laboratory as usual which is a habit and greeted him. "Hey-"

Apparently, he wasn't here. I swore I heard him throwing a fit from the other side of the door. Perhaps it was an illusion but I don't know.

"... I'll just get my books" I said even though there's nobody here. It seemed right to say it if he's around here, it just feels natural. However, it makes me feel a bit... down if I could explain it properly.

Upon returning to my room, I open my door to a basket of food sitting on my desk. Just from one glance, I can tell it was Lucas again that delivered this. Instead of going to him, I supposed that he is setting meal times for me which I don't mind. Though it does feel a little weird. I'm not used to it.

"Idiot" I pouted and set my books down. Instead of reading, I threw my body onto the bed and stared at the ceiling blankly.

I'm so tired for no reason....

~ 3rd POV ~

Another gloomy day in the tower, the princess can vaguely remember when was the last time she saw the warlock. Perhaps a few days?

Only invisible in front of her and avoiding her mostly. The warlock sure doesn't know what is the reason for this behavior. It frustrates the locked-in resident that begins to believe that she got abandoned if it weren't for the daily food delivery to her room.

"Lucas!" She shouts in the hallway with her hands cupping around her mouth. "It's that time of the month again and I ran out!"

A reason to go out again when she has plenty in storage but it's for another book. She needs to know what happens next thus she calls for him. All of a sudden, he appears behind her finally.

"Ugh" He groans exhaustly and startles her.

She shrieks quietly before turning her back and facing him. So long has it been since they saw each other. Realistically it's only been less than a week but for her, it felt more than that since the tower was so boring.

"Don't appear randomly without notifying me first" She breaks off a few sweats and calms her pounding heart.

"... Is it now or...?" He asked, ignoring her complaint and pretending as if he didn't disappear for days.

"Yes and we need to go to town"

"We?" He repeats with a baffled tone.

"Yes, we!" She states sternly. "Have you lost your memories or hit your head?!"

Likewise, the conversation ends quickly and they both appear in the back alley like usual. A secret spot and appearing here is the gates to paradise to her. She is always thrilled to go around the lively town that had a welcoming and bright atmosphere.

She was ready to spend as many counterfeits as Lucas's magic can create. Though she always felt guilty for scamming good people, it's too late to be informed about this. However, today was different.

"I changed your eyes already so you can go"

She knits her eyebrows, a perplexed expression on her face. She gawks in bewilderment from his words. "What do you mean?"

"Here" He tosses her a bag of coins and she barely catches it with two hands, feeling the heavyweight and hearing the jiggles. "I'm busy and whenever you're done. Just go to the fountain and wait"