Chapter 30: The Royal Knights Exam (Part 12)

[It appeared as though humanity would be destroyed by demons. But a single mage saved them all. He was called the wizard king, and he became a legend.]

Noelle POV:

From the looks of it, Finral is talking with his team. They must be strategizing. This match should be hard. I heard that his brother is the Vice-Captain of The Golden Dawn. 

I turn to Asta. "You ran into Finral's brother before in Kiten, right?"

"Yeah, I did. He has incredibly strong magic. He uses spatial magic, and he can shave away at space itself. It's awesome. But he's a jerk. I'm hoping Finral can pull through for this one." 

The look on Asta's face is serious. Is he worried? 

"Is everything okay?" I wait for a response, but Asta doesn't respond. "Asta?" I say, poking his side with my finger. 

Asta jumps. "What was that for?" He says while smiling. 

"Are you worried about Finral?" 

"I think Finral will be fine. I'm more concerned about what his brother will do. He kind of has a screw loose." Asta points to the battlefield. "Look! He's charging straight for them with Bah-ha."

"Oh, you're right! But Finral is doing something as well. Is that a new spell?"

Finral opens up two portals, transporting Hamon and Leopold out of our vision. Then, glowing green orbs begin to form around Finral. They make their way closer to Bah-ha and finally, make contact. Upon contact, a flash of light is produced, and when the light dissipates, Bah-ha is gone. 

Asta perks up. "Wow, Finral! What a cool spell!"

"That was impressive. I wonder where that spell took him." 

"Probably somewhere where he won't be able to contribute to his team. Finral is awesome!"

The spell itself moved slowly, but it looks like it was homing, meaning it won't miss. Well done, Finral. He might have a shot at winning this. However, his brother's magic will be tricky to deal with—the destructive force behind it. I wonder how Finral will handle it.

Having lost his ride, Finral's brother begins to walk leisurely towards Finral's crystal. He walks as if he has no sense of urgency, as if this match has already been decided. The way he carries himself as if he has full confidence in his ability. Finally, he comes to a halt a few yards away from Finral's crystal. 

The two of them begin to converse, but sitting atop this wall, there's no chance that we can hear them. Finral takes several steps back until his back is touching the crystal. Is he scared? 

His brother raises a hand in the air. Suddenly, the mana in the surrounding area gets denser. The other Magic Knights begin to murmur. So this the power of The Golden Dawn's Vice-Captain? Finral isn't a fighter, so how will he manage?

His brother lowers his hand, a large black mass appears and makes its way towards Finral. Finral then opens up a portal of equal size. After a short burst of light, both the portal and the mass are gone. 

"He canceled it out!" I say in surprise.

In disbelief, the crowd begins talking amongst themselves, "So spatial magic users can cancel each other?"

"That Vice-Captain is strong, but that Black Bulls boy may have a chance."

"LET'S GO FINRAL," Asta shouts with all his might.

Following his lead, I do the same, "YOU CAN FO IT FINRAL."

What happens next is a barrage of attacks. However, Finral does not crack under pressure. Carefully and skillfully, he's able to defend against each spatial magic attack. Canceling them out with his own portals. After the flashes of light stop and the dust settles, they're at a standstill. Finral's holding him off. 

After the barrage of attacks, the two of them appear to be conversing. I wonder what they're saying. Then his brother puts his hand behind his cape and pulls out his grimoire. What? He hasn't been using it this entire time, has he? If magic that destructive wasn't grimoire magic, what can he be fully capable of? 

I inch my hand over closer to Asta's and grab hold of his. 

Asta looks at me, "Finral will be okay." However, his grip tightens, signaling that he's worried about Finral as well. 

Dozens of orbs, similar to Finral's new spell, appear around his brother. Finral responds by summoning dozens of his own. Then, in an instant, the orbs are hurled towards each other. However, Finral is outmatched. His brother summoned more, allowing some to crack through Finral's defenses. The orbs that make it through create dozens of holes in the crystals. And in Finral. 

The crystal, utterly destroyed, shatters- cementing Finral's loss. Finral's body lays on the ground, riddled with holes. But yet, his brother raises his hand one more time.

Instinctively, my body moves to take action- he's trying to kill Finral! But we, the Black Bulls, won't allow it!

[Chapter 30 end]