Chapter 33: The Royal Knights Exam (Arc Finale)

[It appeared as though humanity would be destroyed by demons. But a single mage saved them all. He was called the wizard king, and he became a legend.]

Asta POV:

"The matches are over, Asta. It's time to leave." Noelle stands in the doorway of the medical room. "Everyone is waiting for you." 

Despite her words, I don't move an inch. I just lay on the bed staring at the ceiling. I can't believe that I lost. After all that training, this is the result. I didn't even get to fight against Noelle and Yuno in the finals. I was able to watch the finals from here, and that jerk Yuno got a crazy powerup. Honestly, I don't think I would've been able to keep up. 

I put my arm over my eyes to block the light. I don't even have the will to move. All the energy in my body is gone leaving me feeling tired and defeated. Why did things have to turn out this way?

"Asta!" Noelle's shouting brings me back to my senses. "Are you listening to me? Everyone is waiting for us."

"I heard you," I say as I slowly begin to sit up. I look over to Noelle, and she looks pissed off as well as concerned, which is understandable as I've been ignoring her as I wallow in self-pity. I get up from the bed and put on my shoes. I dawdle towards the doorway, and Noelle gives me a nasty look. 

Noelle grabs my hands and leads me out of the room. "I get that you're upset, but you're taking way too long to move. Everyone is waiting." Noelle leads me back to where the group is waiting for us, but I can't get my mind off losing the match. 

"You've got to be kidding me!" 

Before I realize it, we're back on top of the wall. However, everyone is gone. We're the only ones left. 

"They ditched us!" Noelle screams. "It's because you took too long, Asta! How are we going to get back?" 

Noelle sits on the ground in defeat. I look around and see a piece of paper on the floor. I walk over towards it and pick it up. It seems like there's a message on it:

Hey Noelle! It seems that you're taking a while to get Asta, so I made the executive decision to leave without you guys. But don't worry! Finral will be back to get you guys later. We waited for a while, and we were the last ones to leave. Meaning you two will be alone together. Have Fun!

Signed,

Vanessa

I read the letter to myself over again, but I can't help but feel embarrassed.

"Um, Noelle," I say as I walk back over to her and hand her the letter.

She reads the letters' contents, and as she does, her face starts to turn red. 

"I-I-Interesting," Noelle mumbles, "w-well it seems we have some time to ourselves then."

I sit down next to Noelle, "It seems so." My heartbeat starts to pick up. In all honesty, that letter is making me feel nervous. 

"Asta," Noelle mutters.

"Yes?"

Noelle grabs onto my hand, and interlocks were fingers between mine. "I love you a lot. So seeing you this sad also makes me sad." Noelle looks at me in the eyes but quickly looks away. "If there's anything I can do to cheer you up, then let me know." 

My heart skips a beat. Although she's looking away from me, I can tell her face is red considering what she just said. Her ears are red as well. I find myself staring at her without saying a word. When Noelle looks back at me, she turns back away, now aware that I've been staring at her. 

"Are you going to say anything, Asta? Or are you just gonna let me embarrass myself like that?"

Without saying a word, I rest my head on her shoulder. Noelle looks at me and smiles. 

"Staying like this would be enough for me," I manage to say. "Spending time with you is all I need." 

Noelle doesn't respond with words. Instead, she kisses me on the forehead. 

Although I didn't get the results I wanted in this tournament, I still have Noelle. And for that, I'm happy. In the end, we stayed there cuddled up to each other until Finral came. 

[Chapter 33 end]