Chapter 16: Talk

[It appeared as though humanity would be destroyed by demons. But a single mage saved them all. He was called the wizard king, and he became a legend.]

Earlier that same day...

Noelle POV:

I can't sleep. I toss and turn on my bed. Asta is the only thing that is on my mind. Whenever I think back to what we were doing, my body gets so hot. I get up from my bed and walk towards the window. Maybe some fresh air would help? I undo the latch to unlock my window and open it wide. I lean down on the window sill and try to enjoy the cool breeze. However, it doesn't do much. Thoughts of Asta still invade my mind. No matter how hard I try, I can't forget how close we were. I can't forget that sensation of him wrapping his arms around me. What do I do? I throw myself back onto the bed and hug my pillow. Asta, what are you doing to me?

Morning finally comes, but I wasn't able to sleep at all. I waste no time in getting up from my bed and make my way out the door. I need to find a way to get my mind off of Asta. The Royal Selection is soon. I can't be caught up on Asta for so long. I walk into the common room, where I see Vanessa heading towards the door. She turns around a sees me. 

Vanessa smiles, "good morning, Noelle. You're up early."

"Good morning, Vanessa," I say as I walk up to her, "I plan on doing some training. How about you?"

"Nothing in particular. I woke up rather early and decided to seize the day," Vanessa puts on hand on her hip, "would you like some help training?"

I think about her offer for a bit, but I decide I should accept, "That would be really helpful, thank you!" With Vanessa around, she might be able to keep me focused. 

"Oh, good morning, Yami!" Vanessa suddenly says.

I turn around and see Captain Yami sit down on his chair. "Good morning Captain Yami."

"You lot are up early," he says as he squints at us, almost trying to peer into our souls, "You're not gonna cause trouble, are ya?"

"Vanessa is going to help me train."

"Well, look at that, you guys can be productive. You should do it more often."

Vanessa laughs at his comment while I shrug it off. "Let's go to the lake, Vanessa."

"Sounds good, Noelle."

We say our goodbyes to the captain and make our way through the forest to the lake.

We walk through the forest without saying a word to each other, but then Vanessa finally breaks the silence, "so how are things with Asta going?"

Her question catches me completely off-guard. Not only that, but the memories of last night creep back into my mind. "E-Everything is great," I say nervously with a forced smile on my face. However, Vanessa doesn't buy it.

"Come on, Noelle, you can tell me about your problems. I'll at least listen. If something is bothering you, I would like to help."

"Okay, we can talk about it up ahead at the lake."

As we approach the lake, my heart starts to beat faster, and I start to feel nauseous. Am I really gonna tell Vanessa? This is so embarrassing. Where do I even start? I don't think I can do this. 

"We can sit over there, Noelle," Vanessa points to a spot near the shore, "it's fantastic out today! This girl talk will definitely be some fun."

We make it over to the spot and sit down next to each other. We sit in silence and watch the lake. I'm too embarrassed to say anything. What should I do?