Chapter 6

"Who are these offenders? What man among you will speak for them? What is known of them?" Erec began.

"Sir Cameron and I were chosen to speak for those men of our number who are recently under contract to the King. We were serving out our contracts with honor, Milord. Until the day that our lords received royal summons. Our contracts were cancelled and we were ordered to convene in Brecken Moors Hall. We were ten in number when we left to travel together to report to the king."

"Aye, Milord." Sir Bennett continued. "These offenders were of our number when we left Brecken Moors Hall. But no one of us had any prior knowledge of the others, save some by reputation. However, these offenders are unknown by any name to the seven of us who remain."

"Reputation. Aye." Erec nodded, "I know you by reputation, Sir Bennett and I was at Brecken Moors Hall when Sir Cameron swept the tourney two years past, when he defeated all contenders and took the golden prize."

"And the gentle lady's kiss. Sir Cameron added with a swagger in his voice and a waggle of his bushy blonde eyebrows.

"Lest we forget?" Erec smiled, despite the gravity of their situation. As these men accounted for each other by actions, words, and stories, Erec felt the target on his back growing smaller.

"Milord, I am chosen to speak for eight of our number. We were selected by the King and his counsel for our performance in various tourneys. I was advised that the others received their royal orders by messenger at the end of the tourneys. They also deny any prior knowledge of these three offenders, by any name or reputation."

"And you, Sir...?" Erec's voice trailed off, "What of you?"

"Robert. Sir Robert, Milord. Like Sir Cameron, I was tourney Champion, Milord. I too defeated all contenders. My prize was neither golden, nor fair maiden's kiss."

"You were cheated, Sir Robert." Sir Cameron laughed.

"Nay. I did not say that I did not enjoy a fair maiden's kiss, only that it was not my won prize." Sir Robert rejoindered. "My prize, as it were, was one of prestige and honor, as I was granted a place among the Royal Guard."

"Sir Robert." Erec began, "What can you tell us about these offenders?"

"Nothing, Milord. They are entirely unknown to me prior to this counsel."

"Thank you." Erec acknowledged with a nod. "That leaves only you three that we have not heard from."

"We three are chosen to speak for Port Castle, End Haven, and Colter. We represent the remainder of the men, Milord. We have consulted among ourselves and these offenders are not known to any among our number, Milord."

"In summary," Erec spoke even and clear for all present to hear him. "These three offenders simply appeared at Brecken Moors Hall and presented themselves as knights under contract to his majesty, Hugh II. They were theretofore unknown to any of the other knights present and were accepted at their word. From Breckenmoore, they traveled with the other knights to report to his majesty. Therefrom they served until his majesty decreed that we were to march on the kingdom of the Far North."

A chorus of 'Aye' rose from the ten men present at the counsel fire.

"Hardly helpful, is it." Cameron grumbled. "We know nothing of them except that they are black-hearted scoundrels, lacking in honor and morals."

"If only we could execute them, and rid our number of their malignancy." Sir Robert groused.

"We cannot execute them." Sir Cameron reminded, "No matter how blackened their reputations be now."