Chapter 54

"Forgive me, your majesty." Gwyn interjected, "But that was my fault. I was afraid that someone would try to kill my husband before he had a chance to talk to you."

"To smite the demon, eh?" Axel chuckled, giving Gwyn a sympathetic smile. "Did you not fear that they would wish to smite the demon's wife also?"

"That thought did cross my mind," Gwyn admitted with a frown before she remembered herself and added, "Your majesty."

Axel laughed and waved her to join them at the table. One of the soldiers behind Axel brought a chair and held it for Gwyn, seating her next to Erec, but nearer the king.

"It is a brave thing that you have done."

"Is it brave to do what must be done when none other, save yourself may do the thing? Lord Erec is the only one who can bring peace. If he were killed before peace was made, many lives would be lost."

"But loss is expected in a war."

"Aye, your majesty." She sighed. "But most of those that will fall are not soldiers. They are farmers and simple people. People like my brothers and my father." Gwyn's voice trailed off and Erec reached out to take her hand.

"They have fallen already?" Axel guessed.

"My father was murdered. I and my son were hunted like animals..."

"But you are a clever vixen, are you not?" Axel offered a gentle smile of understanding. "You outwitted those hunters. But what of your brothers?"

"They were taken and sold, your majesty. One of your spie—er—men, told us that they captured many men and supplies and sold them to Lord Garrett to aid in his fight against our king."

"My man?" Axel frowned. If it became known that he sent out spies, peace may no longer be an option.

"Aye, your majesty. Do not be concerned. I have told no one of this and he took his own life rather than tell his secrets."

"Then how do you come to say that he was my man?"

Erec watched the king carefully, while conscientiously fighting to keep his face and posture neutral. Axel held their lives in his hands. It would not do well to insult him or provoke him. But he seemed sincerely interested in Gwyn, and to her credit, she was handling him rather well.

"When I prepared him for burial, I found a pendant. It was a symbol of one of the old gods of the people of the Far North. His clothing and his speech were not quite right either...your majesty."

"Wine." The king said suddenly. "And bread. And bring tea and sweets for the lady."

"You are too kind, your majesty." Gwyn said.

"Forgive me, your majesty. I have been remiss in my duty. You already know her to be a woman of great courage and beauty. You also know her as my wife, your majesty. May I present to you, the Lady Gwyndolyn, Baroness of Greenwood." Erec allowed his tender affection for her to show as he gazed upon her.

"I know it is hardly proper to bring one's wife when one is approaching a superior army to beg for a truce, but it was our hope, as she has explained, that her presence would lend witness that my purpose in coming was a peaceful one. It is to her, your majesty, that we owe our meeting. It was on her advise that I timed my return, just as it is on her advice that I beg for a truce."

King Axel had been looking Gwyn over with no little amount of scrutiny. She began to understand how the tapestries in the great hall must feel upon being so closely inspected.

Upon hearing Erec's words, King Axel smiled broadly and announced with a chuckle. "Ah, my lady, you are brave, beautiful, AND wise. Would that you were not a married woman. You would make a most admirable queen."