Chapter 40

"Thank you, lad but there is no need to lead me around. I do not wish... that is, mayhap there is someone that could make selections for me based on my purchases?"

"Aye. The master's wife has a very good eye for quality, but she is thrifty also. You will get the best we have for the coin you can spend. Do you wish to speak with her? She can take your coin now or we can deliver and collect the coin then..."

The church bells began to chime Sext and she jumped at the first gong.

"I see that a lot. No church where you are from?"

"There is a chapel in the castle but that is two day's ride. We generally practice our devotional in the morning and make it a day of rest to think upon the Lord. The only bell within hearing is the one tied on the cow."

The lad laughed and she joined him, finally feeling herself again after her earlier scare. She would be safe...but just to be sure she wanted to find a way back without going near them again...

"I must needs return to Old Dog Inn to meet my brother and my husband. Is there a way that I might go other than the way which I came? I am not used to the crowds and I am so short that I cannot see where I am going when they press in around me. I am afraid I might get lost."

"I remember what you need. And I can take you as far as the baker's cart. But from there, you can see the rooftop of the Old Dog Inn. Well, it is the building across the street, but it will guide you even if the people crowd you."

"Thank you, that is very kind of you."

Gwyn followed but as luck would have it, they also passed the sword seller. The clank of the blacksmith's hammer sounded from somewhere unseen, but a rather impressive display of swords and daggers were for sale. A brutish man was watching the merchandise, but a well-dressed merchant was selling and he was talking to...she gasped but forced herself to keep going.

She reached down and scooped up Sofi.

"No Mama!" Sofi started to protest.

"Please be good. Put your head on my shoulder. There are men there who would hurt us..."

Sofi was an angel and complied at once without so much as a peep. She buried her nose in Gwyn's neck and hugged her tight. Shelba was inevitably partially pressed up into Gwyn's face but this time she did not mind at all. Keeping her eyes on the lad in front of her she forced her legs to move though her heart stopped when she heard the merchant addressing the Lord.

"Lord Neron, that is truly a fine choice..."

They were beyond the seller and she did not care much about the blade. The third man had a name now. Sir Jackson, Sir Oliver, and LORD Neron! The man was a noble! She had never heard of him, but that was no real surprise to her as she was never away from the farm. Erec would know. Berk or Gil might know. Now she had to get to them...

"Excuse me, Milady."

Gwyn pretended not to hear and kept going. Her heart started to beat again when she heard a woman answer.

"Lord Neron, how delightful to see you."

Her heart was thundering in her chest and she probably was choking Sofi from holding her so tightly. How she wished the boy would move faster...

"There you are Milady. See there, the baker's cart and beyond you will see the tallest roof. Keep it ahead of you and on our left. Old Dog Inn is directly across the street and will be on your right."

"Thank you so much. I shall add a little something for you when my items are delivered. Send them to my brother's room. Tell them the items are for Berk's sister and they shall know which room to collect from."