Chapter 69

Gwyndolyn paced to the window in slow deliberate steps, exactly the way that her mother had shown her was proper for a lady. At the window, she stared out for several heartbeats but saw nothing. Full of nervous energy she turned again and forced herself to take measured steps toward the door.

She would go visit with the children. Their energy and joy were always a balm to her sour moods and frazzled nerves.

But there was no longer a need to be strong against such trying circumstances as: being hunted, spying on a traitor, fighting for her life, bartering peace with a powerful king, and awaiting the outcome of her husband's participation in a trial by combat.

It SHOULD all be over by now, the worrying, the waiting...but nay!

Her husband had to lose his temper to the king! The king whom everyone knew HATED him. And then...! And then!

And then the fool excused himself from a royal summons!

She was calm enough this morn when he was called away to a private audience in the king's chambers. But with each passing minute, her nerves—which were already frayed worse than Robin's shirt cuffs—well...

Her nerves were ready to snap like a dried twig, is what they were!

She did not need this worry. She should be relaxing instead of pacing this damnedably small room! She should be sitting with Lady Alexandi in one of the sitting rooms, enjoying a quiet morning working on needlework and...

She spun on her heel, walking toward the window again far too quickly. Half way there, she checked herself and forced calmer steps.

And!

And she what was she doing instead?

She was pacing this room and worrying that the king was going to lop off her husband's head!

It would serve him right.

He was such a—

The door opened and Gwyndolyn spun around.

"You are alive!" Joy washed over her, erasing the rest of her words.

Forgetting decorum, she ran to her husband who welcomed her with open arms. She heard him grunt softly when she slipped her arms about his waist and hugged him tightly. Remembering his bruises, she relaxed her hold.

"You are alive." She whispered, more to herself.

"Of course, I am alive, wife." Erec chuckled, stooping to drop a kiss on her crown and wincing from the movement.

"Of course, you are alive?" Gwyn stepped back and looked at him in completed disbelief. "OF COURSE, YOU ARE ALIVE?"

"That is what I said." Erec wished for a moment that someone else were in the room to tell him what had just occurred...because he sure as hell's fires had no idea.

"Why OF COURSE? There was every reason to think that ...OH!" Gwyn growled in frustration as tears began to blur her vision.

This really was too much! First, he deliberately provoked the king, who HATES him, and then...

And then!

"What is wrong with you?" Erec asked, growing concerned by her erratic behavior.

"Me? What is wrong with me? You are what is wrong with me!"

Erec stepped back and grabbed her wrists as she tried to pound on his chest.  He did not think she meant to hurt him so badly as allowing her to strike his bruises.