8. Cruel Existence

One day, Eian brings a notice where guardians are called to collect the progress report of a recent test of their child. Guardians need to meet the homeroom teacher.

Zo and Mr Kang decide to visit his school on their way to the office.

Eian always carries a good result, they never heard any complaints against him.

When Mr and Mrs Kang reach the school, Eian was in his class. Zo drives herself, today she parked the car a little far, so that it doesn't block the school entrance.

Eian noticed his parents entering the school from a window. As soon as the class finished, he runs to meet them.

A few children from his class also saw them but noticed something new to them.
After Zo and Kang leave the school, they approach Eian.

"Is that your father and mother?"

"Yes! Did your parents come?"

They don't hear him but cross-questions him, "Is your father deaf and mute?"

"He can't speak. He can hear." Eian replies normally.

"Oh really!! Wah! I never saw a mute before..." A child shouts.

"Oh really really? He is mute??? Haha.. that's why he was waving fingers then!"

"He looks funny showing fingers like that.." one of them comments and they eye each other followed by some chattering.

"Hey, hey, you know Eian's father is mute!" Someone declare in the class.

"Mute! Really!!"

Various kids show various expression and glance at Eian.

Eian doesn't understand their reaction. What's his father's fault or his fault in it. He doesn't like it. Calling someone 'deaf' or 'mute' directly is actually hurts. He feels very angry inside.

He shouts, "So what???"
"My father is a good man. You guys can talk so you only talk ill about others. What's good with that??"

He goes back to his seat by making sound on the floor.
That was a childlike fight, but sensitive Eian got hurt.

He kept the whole matter in him. He used to report everything at home, as they taught him. But this time he didn't speak anything to anyone.

But the next month, the school called another guardians' meeting. All of the guardians need to come to that day with their child.

When everyone is having evening tea at home, Zo picks the topic of going to Eian's school.
Suddenly Eian speaks up, "You don't need to go. Teachers don't have any complaint against me."

Zo: "It's tough to go leaving the office but parents should go. Teachers will think we don't give time to our kids or don't care about our child. And teachers don't always call us to complain. We'll go."

Eian: "It's still fine, you still don't need to go."

Zo feels suspicious, she asks, "Why? Did you do something bad in school? That's why you don't want us to go?"

Eian: "NO! I didn't do anything."

Zo: "Then?"

Eian: "Nothing.
Mamma then only you come. Papa will handle the office."

Zo stricks her voice, "When you started to suggest about elder's stuff, Eian?"

"I'm sorry mummy.." Eian says biting his lips... And suddenly he starts crying.