Chapter 9

4 years later...

"Madi, come here"

5 year old Madi who'd run towards the window to see if her school bus was here yet, came back towards where her mom was standing near the kitchen counter.

Lexa leaned down, and kissed her forehead.

"Promise me you're going to be at your best behaviour this year at camp"

"I will, mom. Trust me."

"I do." Lexa kissed her forehead and Madi gave her a tight hug.

"Well well, why wasn't I invited for this massive love fest" came Anya's voice.

Madi laughed. "Of course you're invited too Aunt Anya" she said

"Come here you little munchkin!" Anya carried her in her arms spinning her around a few times. "God! You're getting heavier each time."

Madi chuckled.

Just then they heard the bus honking from outside. "I have to go now. Put me down." Madi said excitedly.

"But I don't want to let you go!" Anya played around. Lexa laughed.

"But I have to go. There's a new bunch of 4 year olds from the nearing town joining us this year and I've been elected a volunteer to make them feel at home." Madi said proudly.

"Okay okay" Anya let her down and she ran to kiss Lexa's cheek "Bye mommy, I'll see you in 2 days."

Madi put on her bag and ran out towards the bus. But Lexa noticed her stop all of a sudden about 3 steps away from the bus, she looked thoughtful. She ran back towards Lexa standing at the door, and then ran past her into the house.

"What's wrong sweetie?" Lexa worried.

She hardly made it to the staircase when she heard Madi's footsteps running down the staircase, seemingly have retrieved what she returned to get.

"I forgot this" she said as she held out the pendant her mother had gifted her when she was 4.

Lexa's heart felt funny. This pendant had so many memories locked inside it. Madi had no clue. All she was allowed to know was that it was a very important piece of jewellery for Lexa, and Madi was entrusted to always keep it safe. Lexa never opened the locket and Madi was oblivious to the fact that it even was a locket in the first place.

Lexa smiled and took it from her, made her turn around, and effortlessly hooked the chain behind her neck.

"Go. You're perfect" she said to her little one.

Madi grinned from ear to ear and ran out.

As the bus left, Anya came and stood by Lexa's side and spoke "One day she's going to open that locket and bombard you with questions."

Lexa's smile faded. She thought to herself for a moment. "Well, then let's hope I figure out the answers before that day comes." Lexa walked back into their home.

"You should call her. Or at least reach out to that friend of yours, what's her name, Raven?"

Lexa thought for a moment.

Anya saw this as progress. It had been around 4 years now since Lexa had left her life in Washington DC behind. She was practicing law here now, in New York. In the first two years, bringing up the subject of Clarke was like asking for hell to reign down on you. These days however, Lexa seems to be listening at least.

"Weren't you and Raven pretty good friends?"

"We were" she said, then corrected herself "are..." She continued ... "I think" Lexa said.