Nineteen | Girl In The Mirror

Chapter 19 : Girl In The Mirror

'Don't fail me now time.' I thought to myself while nervously biting at the end of my pen, Watching the seconds go down on the clock above the entrance of the classroom door.

'10 more seconds. . .' I think again to myself. Soon the ringing of the bell immediately catches everyone's attention, especially mine. I hop out of my seat practicing sonic dashing out of class.

Students roam the halls chaotically, urging their friends and dates out of the school building to go home and get ready for the dance. It looks like a zoo gone wild.

That actually sounds about right. Everyone here is basically animals.

I never understood why Scarlet loves these things. I hate dances or any place where I have to dress up. Me and fancy wear do not get along, I always end up looking like a potato.

I never do well in a room full of people because I'd embarrass myself without even meaning too. When I'm around people, I freak out and end up doing something stupid.

That is why I stay hidden in the shadows where I'm unseen. But with a brother like Harley, it's not really that easy. I managed to somehow stay somewhat invisible since middle school, but I wasn't completely invisible because of Harley.

Most people knew me because of him but never paid attention to me unless I was being targeted by someone, mainly Joslin. Yes, Joslin has been torturing me since middle school and it's honestly hell.

After practically throwing my books in my locker, I make sure to look out for a tall brunette with happiness taped to her forehead. I don't mean literally though but you get what I'm saying.

Scarlet is a ray of sunshine. Happiness taped to her forehead is a figure of speech . I don't know why I'm saying this it's not like it's important but, then again, anything I say is never important because no one would care.

"Shit," I mumble, hiding inside an empty classroom. I watch as Scarlet runs down the stairwell near my locker with a huge smile on her face.

She's gonna stay there until she sees me walk by, isn't she? Great now I'm stuck. Yes, I am that desperate to get away from her right now. But no one gets it because everyone is so confident about their looks. meanwhile, I'm basically panicking about showing skin tonight because I'm afraid of being judged.

So I'd rather hide from it all then face it. I'm weak yeah I know.

looks like the gods answered my prayers. Scarlet looked around the halls one more time before skipping across the hall to her locker. This gives me at least 10-20 seconds to make a run for it.

Once I secede, I speed walk around the parking lot and straight towards Harley's car while also trying not to draw attention to myself. He stood up against his car making out with some girl. Oh, poor her, she has no idea what she's getting herself into.

My gaze moves from the disgusting make-out session and I spot Damon leaning on the passenger side, playing on his phone. And boy does he look fine doing it— Yeah, no that was weird.

My nerves start to kick in at the sight of him. The more I got closer the more my heart rate increases. His presence always makes me feel so weak and it's annoying. I've kinda started talking to him again, not much but here and there.

It's weird. It's like he's a stranger and we only say a few words to each other and go about our day. When we were young, we'd always talk to each other non-stop.

I never told anyone this ever. Damon and I would stay awake all night sometimes just talking about random topics. We'd hide outside under the porch of an abandoned house. It wasn't nearly as creepy as you think, no one just hasn't had the time to continue fixing up the place.