CHAPTER - 39 : THE CEMETERY

ANDRIANNA'S P.O.V.

"Are you sure we shouldn't go back in?" I ask as I pace in the living room.

"No, I don't think that would do us or him any good. He needs some time to take it all in." Brian says in a defeated tone as he lowers his head.

"But it's been 30 minutes." I say taking a glance at his door.

God knows what he must be feeling right now. To know that he has lost 6 years of his life and also his best friend, on the same damn day!

"No Andrianna, I think we should wait----" Brian couldn't complete the sentence because of a shout piercing through the air.

We snap our heads towards the closed door and then look at each other before Brian leaps out of the couch and rushes towards the room with me hot on his trail. He bursts the door open to see Xavier on the ground. He was sitting in a cross-legged position as he hugs a photo frame tightly to his chest while crying his eyes out. Brian was quick to take long strides and crouch down in front of him. But I stood frozen by the door, taking his state in.

I had never seen him like that. Never. Whether he is shot with a bullet, stabbed with a knife or anything else for that matter. It was hard to imagine. I did have an idea that he is an emotional person, but at the same time he was pretty good at keeping it all inside. Seeing him today, at his most vulnerable....put me in a dilemma.

On one hand I felt uneasy to invade his privacy, because as far as I know he wouldn't want to show this side of him to anyone. And certainly not to a person who wasn't there for six whole years. But on the other, I just couldn't take my eyes off him. I wanted to step closer, hug him, comfort him, anything that would remotely reduce his pain....

I walk over and slowly lower myself to the ground beside Brian. Xavier was shaking by now, taking short breaths in between the sobs. Brian lifts his hand and starts rubbing Xavier's back in an attempt to ease his breathing.

It took a while before I see that his shoulders have stopped shaking. He lifts his face and I find myself looking in his now red and puffy eyes, which makes my heart clench.

"When?" He chokes out.

"September 29, 2021." Brian whispers.

"It's been 5 years!" His eyes widen as he exclaims

"How? How did this happen?"

"On mission. Was shot in the stomach." Brian replies.

"Where were you?!" I could detect the irritation in his voice.

"I was here. Ever----ever since you were in sleep, we stopped going on missions together. We thought at least one of us should be here when you wake up. So we requested a desk job during that period." Brian explains carefully while observing his reaction.

"Oh god, this is all because of me. She...she died because of me." He shakes his head and lowers his head again.

"Don't be an idiot, Xavier. None of this is because of you okay?" Brian says holding his shoulders.

While they were conversing, my hand drifts to the red spot on the floor. Confused I move my gaze to check Xavier when I see his bloody knuckles.

"Brian where's the first aid?" I ask in his ear and point towards Xavier's knuckles.

"Dressing table, second drawer." He says when he follows my gaze.

I nod and silently get up. Making my way towards the table, I open the drawer and grab the box before coming back to them. I open the box and gently grab hold of his hand which makes him snap his head towards me. Surprised at the sudden reaction I loosen my hold on his hand.