14: thinking of you

it'd been a month since i had cut things off with gus, i avoided him best i could. only speaking to him if i absolutely had to about the house or something. i don't think either of had emotionally moved on, but gus sure didn't hesitate to move on physically.

cody was at bella's. tracy and ben had gone off to some party, leaving just gus and i in the house. i slammed the door extra loud and locked it as obnoxiously as possible, hoping he still got my message to leave me the fuck alone, just incase he tried to try anything while we were home alone.

gus must have been doing something with the album in his room instead of the basement, the bass thumping through the entire floor of the house. i pounded on our shared wall a few times, "turn that shit down" i said, annoyed. gus did as he was asked. "thanks" i said.

i laid in bed and put netflix on, not having much better to do lately. my phone rang beside be, which was odd. hardly anybody ever calls me. i flipped my phone over, mom flashes across the screen. "oh what the fuck" i said to myself, i didn't have an awful relationship with my parents but let's just say this didn't exactly mind me moving across the state.

"hello?" i picked up confused. "aspen?" my mom asked on the other side of the line. "yeah it's me" i said. "honey i'm sorry to bother you so late but we just rushed your father to the hospital, he's had a heart attack. he is stable but we're not quite sure what side effects it'll reap" my mom said through the phone, she had obviously been crying. "oh my god. mom i'm sorry. is he gonna be okay? well i guess you just answered that. do you guys need anything? do you need me to come home?" i rambled into the phone, shocked by the news.

"i won't force you sweetie, but if you want to come home and visit him, he may not have much time left. no one can tell for sure right now" my mom said. "yeah of course, i'll get on the next flight. i'll see you at home. love you mom" i said, not even questioning wether i should go or not. "give me a call when you get here. bye sweetie. love you too" she said and hung up.

as soon as she hung up the phone emotions poured over me, tears instantly falling and breaking into loud sobs. my back slid down the wall, clutching my phone. i cried into my knees, devastation filling me. i couldn't handle losing my dad, i don't know what i would do.

i knew i'd have to text work to let them know i needed some time off to go home.

aspen
hey, just got a call my dad has been hospitalized from suffering a heart attack. not sure if he's gonna make it. flying home asap, i'll need a few days off at least

christie
take as much time as you need sweetie. thinking about you and your family, sending my prayers.

at least she was forgiving and nice about it.

i looked up plane tickets at lax to fly home as soon as i could, tears falling on my phone screen as i scrolled. there was a flight home to sacramento tonight, i booked it as quickly as i could.

"aspen? what's going on?" gus asked through the door, i guess i wasn't exactly crying quietly. "nothing" i said through broken tears. "aspen open the door" gus said. "go away" i screamed at him. "aspen, open the door i won't ask again. what's going on in there? you're obviously not okay" he said, jiggling the doorknob.

i knew he wouldn't stop, i reluctantly opened the door for him. "aspen, are you okay?" gus asked, looking at me with genuine concern. "no" i said, my voice cracking. i guess there was no one else here to talk to. "asp, tell me what happened" gus said, letting himself through the door. "my dad" i said faintly. "what about him?" gus asked. "he's in the hospital. he had a heart attack. he may not make it" i told him.

gus wrapped me in a hug, i didn't pull away from him. i was a mess and had no one else here. "i'm flying home tonight, to say goodbye. just incase" i told gus, burying my face in his neck. he rubbed my back, trying to comfort me the best he could. "asp, i don't care how much you hate me. i'm driving you to the airport, you're not okay to drive right now. especially such a busy route" gus said. "okay" i said, not having it in me to fight him right now.

"do you need anything? i can come with you if you think you need someone" he said. it was hard to hate him right now, even though he knew i hated him he was still offering anything he could do and being a genuinely nice person. "i'll be okay once i get there. thanks though" i said, i don't think i needed anyone to accompany me.

"when's the flight?" gus asked. "five hours" i said, it was the closest one i could get. "okay, do you need help packing?" he asked. "yeah" i mumbled. gus pulled out my suitcase and helped me fold clothes and everything i'd need for the week. gus stopped what he was doing and pulled out his phone.

my phone dinged a minute later.

e transfer | gustav åhr
$200.00
plane fairs.

"gus, no" i said. i didn't need his money. "aspen, please. it's the least i could do after everything and now this" he said. "okay" i gave in, still not having it in me to argue anything. "thank you" i told him. "like i said, least i could do" he told me. we finished packing my bag, setting it by the door.

i couldn't help but hug gus, and cry into his shoulder. i needed someone right now and he was all i had. "i'm here for you" he said "and i'm sorry asp. i really am. i know now isn't the time but hopefully you can find it in yourself to forgive me one day" gus added. i didn't say anything. he was right, now wasn't the time.

"can i lay down?" i asked, feeling weak from the crying and emotions. "of course" gus said, walking me to the bed. "can you stay with me? for now?" i asked him, inviting him to join me in bed. "if you want me to" he said. "please?" i asked. gus laid down next to me, not initiating any touch. i rolled over and curled into his side, holding onto his shirt with one hand. gus followed my actions, wrapping his other arm around me. "i'm here" he said. "thank you" i told him.

i must have fallen asleep, waking up to gus shaking me awake. "hi, we should get going to the airport. you can nap in the car if you want" he said. "okay" i said, standing up and reaching for my bag. gus grabbed it for me "i've got it" he said. "thank you" i told him. he loaded my stuff into his car, then helping me into the passenger seat.

"asp if you need anything at all, or just wanna talk, please don't hesitate to text me or call me. or anyone. i'm here for you no matter what" gus said. "i will, thanks. you can tell the other guys what happened when they're back by the way, i don't care" i said. "okay i'll let them know" he told me.

i let gus hold my hand while we drove, stroking my hand with his thumb. we drove mostly in silence, i had nothing else to say. we reached the drop off door at the airport. "fly safe, text someone when you land please?" gus asked. "i will" i said, grabbing my bag out of the backseat. "i'm here if you need anything"
gus said. "thank you. bye gus. i'll see you when i'm home" i said.

i went through the airport routine, until i could board my flight. it was a somber late night flight. i slept most of the way, not wanting to think right now.

-

aspen
landed

gus
thinking of u

a/n

hope y'all are appreciating the mass amount of updates rn