16: the heart wants what it wants

my dad had been steadily improving all week, thankfully. he had really given us a scare there. i was scheduled to go home today as long as he remained fine.

fellow house dwellers

aspen
hey thought i'd give everyone an update
my dads improving and should be okay
i'm coming home today as long as nothing drastic changes today

ben
great news!
happy to hear
see u soon!

cody
such a relief to hear
glad he's okay

tracy
good to know, thanks for the update.
happy he's good

gus
❤️

-
gus
hey
glad to hear about your dad
are you gonna need a ride home today
i'll come grab you

aspen
thanks, me too
and if you wouldn't mind that would be much appreciated
thanks gus

gus
no problem
when do u land?

aspen
1pm

gus
i'll be there

aspen
thank you

i'd started to let my grudge against gus go since my dad had gotten sick. something just felt wrong about being mad at anyone right now, especially since everyone was being so supportive. 

"i'm glad you're doing better. it was good to see the family again. i'll have to visit more often." i told my dad. "yes dear, definitely come for a visit once in a while, we miss you. i'll be okay, don't worry about me sweetheart". he said. "well, i will worry. text me if anything changes and i can come back. my flight leaves in two hours, so i should get going" i told both my parents.

"alright, thanks for coming to see your old man. talk to later" he told me. "bye dad, love you" i waved. my mom and i walked out to her car so she could drive me to the airport.

she pulled up to the drop off door at the airport. "fly safe hun. call me when you land, thanks for coming home for a bit" my mom smiled. "bye mom, love you" i said. "bye aspen sweetie. love you too" she said.

i went through security and baggage check and waited at the gate for my flight. i texted gus so he knew i was on my way.

aspen
getting on plane any minute now

gus
text me when ur landed
i'll be there @ 1 for ya

aspen
thanks see u soon

gus
safe travels boo

here he goes again. i put in my headphones for the flight, it wasn't a terribly long journey. just over an hour. i listened to music and cleared out some old stuff on my my phone that was taking up storage and i hardly noticed any time had passed until the plane landed.

once we were back on solid ground i grabbed my bag from the conveyor belt and texted gus.

aspen
done
coming to find you

gus
okay i'm outside the arrivals door

i looked down the road that gus was supposed to me on, sporting his car. i put my bags in and got in too. "coming back with another bag?" he asked. "yeah i thought i'd bring some stuff back while i had the chance" i said. "how's your dad?" gus asked. "doing a lot better, he should be getting discharged in a day or too" i told him. "that's good, i was worried for you" gus said.

gus took us home and i was greeted with everyone at the door waiting to hug me. "hey guys" i said, hugging everyone. "we missed you" ben said. "i missed you guys too" i told them.

"can we talk?" gus asked. i did tell him we could when i was home. "meet me in my room"'i said, sending him upstairs. "what's that about?" ben asked. "we're just gonna talk" i said. "don't do anything you're not ready for, you don't owe him anything. he has been behaving while you're gone though, just so you know" ben informed me.

"thanks for letting me know" i said, going to meet gus upstairs. he was waiting for me, sitting on my bed. "hi" he said, "hey" i told him, waiting for him to say what he needed to say. "can i properly apologize now?" he asked. "go ahead" i told him. "aspen, i'm so sorry. i made a mistake, trust me i know. i've never regretted something so fast or so much in my entire life. it wasn't worth losing you, i've been miserable without you. i don't know if you realized how happy you made me. it was a dick move, and awful and disrespectful and piggish and wrong in every way. aspen, from the bottom of my heart i am so sorry. if you could find it in your heart to forgive me i'd really appreciate it, and you don't have to but could you maybe give me another chance? at least think about it?" just gave me a long winded apology. it was genuine and sincere, i could tell.

he was owning up to his mistakes and being real and transparent about it, which earned a tiny ounce of my respect for him back. giving him another chance, that's a bit of a different story. i did miss us being happy together, even if we weren't dating. i was happy with what we had and would have been willing to go further. "thank you for apologizing, i appreciate it and i accept it. giving you another chance, i'll think about it" i told him.

"thank you" he said "i miss you a lot aspen". "i miss you too. i really wish that didn't have to happen, but it did and here we are" i said. "me too, i promise it'd never happen again. i haven't seen another girl in a while now. i'm ready for you whenever and if you're ready to come back to me" gus said. "i'll think about it gus, i promise. i miss you too" i told him. we were being honest. i hugged him, "thanks for everything by the way, the whole situation with my dad" i thanked him. "no worries, just glad he's okay" gus said.

oh how i wished for things to be back how they were, we were heading in such a good direction too. i didn't want to seem like a clown if i chose to take him back, but the heart wants what it wants.

a/n
prolly last chapter for the night my dudes

how's everyone doing? got anything exciting planned coming up?