Bolts

Phoebe and I crash on Sam and Sarah's couch, which is too nice of them since Sarah has two boys of her own running around the house. We sleep decently well, or at least Phebs does. I wake up every now and then just from general issues with sleeping on anything that's too soft. But then I wake up to something a bit strange, I hear whooshing and grunting. When I lift my head I see Sarah's boys playing with the shield. "hey," I call out to them softly, getting their attention, "I don't mind you two playing, but please don't wake her up."

"Put it back," the older of the two boys orders. The younger tries to put it back in the case and prop it up but it falls over as they run off.

I smile as the boys run off, finding them cute and wondering what it would be like to settle down and have a family. I look down to Phoebe, who's laying in my arms snuggled up against my chest, and start to think about what it would be like to come home to her everyday and what kind of wife she would be. What would our kids look like? What would we do for work? Would Sam be involved in our lives? Which I'm sure if it's up to Phoebe the answer would be yes. Soon I get up to let her sleep a bit longer, when I do I see the shield and start to think about Steve and how Sam was his only choice to take his place. Soon I head out to the boat, hoping to work on it a bit before anyone else wakes up, but Sam beat me to it and he's already down in the haul working on the engine. "How'd you sleep?" Sam looks over to me as I come down the stairs.

"Alright, I guess."

"Where's P?"

"She is still asleep on the couch."

"That girl can sleep through anything."

"You're telling me," Sam and I laugh.

"You know, you really do have a good thing going with her. You two could have a life together, maybe even a couple of little half cyborgs running around. Who knows."

"Yeah, maybe."

"Now get yo ass over there and start loosening bolts." We work on the engine for a few hours in silence before heading up to the deck, trying to work on a piece in the light. Sam looking over the blueprints, "alright, so. There should be a three-sixteenths bolt that goes in the big gear."

"Nope," I shake my head.

"Excuse me," Sarah walks over to us, "nope, uh-huh, no. no."

Sam looks over to me, "how do you know, you didn't even look."

"I didn't have to," I look over to Sam. Soon Sarah stops beside us and we both look up to her, she doesn't look happy, but I still smile, "hi, Sarah."

Sarah sighs, "I told you specifically that the water pump was not the problem, and yet, here you are."

"Yep, Samuel."

"In our defense," Sam looks between Sarah and I, "we were supposed to be done long before you woke up."

Sarah shakes her head, "I don't come up to the sky to tell you how to barrel roll, or whatever, so don't come back here and start messing around with things you clearly don't understand."

"Wow. Wow."

"Bye. Off. Thank you gentlemen. Appreciate you. I love you, bro."

Sam and I start to leave, "she's a very mean person."

"Tough love," I chuckle.

"No, if you did what I told you to do, we would have been done before any of this took place."

"There's no such thing..."

"There's a prowess that goes into my madness."