Shots

I fly back to the GRC building as fast as I can. When I get there I see Sam under a truck, trying to push it up with no help other then Redwing. I land a few yards away from the truck and run up to help Sam. I grab the bumper and pull as hard as I can, even using the jet pack on my wings to help get extra leverage. Sam and I manage to get the truck back on to the very unfinished building and stable. Once we do Sam lands next to me and I smile over to him as he puts a hand up toward me. I give him a high five as I hear the crowd watching cheer, Sam uses RedWing to cut the lock on the back of the truck and some members of the crowd come to help those on board. But before we can get down to the others Karli throws a spike at Bucky, who catches it. Before she can do anything else Sam, who saw her do this just as I had, throws his shield, hitting three the Flag Smashers. While the shield is flying around, I jump down and land between Bucky and Karli, slowly standing and trying not to show the pain the is currently running through my knees and soon Sam gently flies down. "Phoebe," I turn back and see John.

"Walker, nice to see you're alive."

Karli takes her mask off and looks between Sam and I as if we have betrayed her, "you of all people bought into that bullshit?"

"We're trying something different," Sam lands next to me.

I shrug, turning back to Karli, having glanced back to Sam as he landed, "maybe you should do the same."

Before we can do anything else there are a few small explosions followed by smoke, gun fire, and people screaming. As I look around trying to see something, I hear Sam, "this way." I hear Sam's feet begin to move and follow the sound of the moving gravel until we clear the smoke.

The four of us run into a building, before Bucky updates Sharon, "hey, Sharon, we're underground. We entered the tunnel on William. Heading south."

"Looks like they split up here," Sam stops.

Bucky and I do aswell, but John turns the corner and keeps going. Bucky puts a hand out to Sam and I, "I got him. Stay safe."

Sam and I start down the tunnel but slow down when we hear someone whistle. The whistling continues and leads us into a large warehouse room. As we look around the large room we hear two gunshots. We run toward the sound of the shots and find Karli, Sharon and another man. The man is dead, while Karli is holding a gun on Sharon, "Sam, Phoebe, stay back."

"Sam, help Sharon," I turn to Karli, "what's next? You kill ten this time, then a hundred? When does it end?" Karli turns her attention to me and as she does Sam goes over to Sharon, "Karli, please, let me help you."

"Don't try and manipulate me."

"Come on, we both know you're too smart for that." Karli then turns her gun to Sam and Sharon, and when she does I tackle her to the ground. Karli lands next to a pile of cement blocks and begins to throw them at me. I punch and break the blocks or just dodge them all together. Soon Karli gives up the blocks and runs up to me, trying to punch, hit or kick me. I just block the swings and try to disengage, "I'm not gonna fight you."

Karli becomes more frustrated by this and starts to fight harder, doing anything she can to get me to fight back. She even hits me with a metal pipe and knocks me to the ground, "stay down!"

I chuckle as I get back up, "no." I shake my head and wipe my lip, which has a bit of blood on it, before squaring up against Karli again, "I can do this all day."

Karli charges me and continues to throw punches, all of which I block or dodge, "fight back!"

Soon I am able to grab Karli by the waist and push her back, "stop it."

I jump back but Karli continues to come at me, "fight me! Fight back!"

Eventually Karli is able to land a pretty good punch, one she knocks me to the ground with. When I look up Karli has a gun on me, as I stand up I put my hands up, which does little to help my balance. But I am able to steady my self and begin to prepare myself for the bullet that is able to rip through me. The only thought that comes to my mind is how worried I am about Sam and Bucky. If anything happens to me Bucky will shut down and Sam will try to help, but Bucky won't accept it. I think about how those two would probably would have killed each other if given too much time alone together before all this. The next thing I hear is a gunshot, but it comes from behind me. I turn and see Sharon standing behind Sam with a gun pointed at Karli. Sam looks like he is running over toward Karli and I. "No!!" I shout as I run over to Karli. When I get to Karli and hold her head in my lap.

Karli looks up to me and shakes her head, whispering, "I'm sorry."

I shake my head as I fight back tears, "shh... it's okay. Go see Mama Donya." I watch the light fade from Karli's eyes and once she's gone I begin to cry.

"Phoebe..." I hear Sharon call out to me.

I turn to Sharon, not moving from Karli, "what did you do!"

"She was going to kill you."

"Shes a child!"

Sharon doesn't answer me, she just hangs her head. Sam walks over to me, "P, come on... we gotta get her out of here."

Sam tries to pick Karli up but I push his hands away, "don't..." I shake my head and stand, picking Karli up in my arms.

"Phebs, let me help you."

I shake my head again, "I got her."