chapter 19

Taking a lock of curly brown hair between her fingers, Nia turned it over with a grimace on her face. She needed to go to the salon ASAP. Her hair needed a serious makeover. She could do it herself but, she was nothing compared to a professional. And her hair was too voluminous. She'd probably botch it before she even started.

Her hair was her pride. She wore her Afro like a crown. She didn't like people touching it, it irritated her. She ducked whenever someone tried to, force of habit. And, she didn't like straightening it either.

Finding a colorful scarf in her drawer, she tied it around her hair. It went well with her cream short sleeved blouse and black slacks.

Staring at herself in the mirror, she took a deep breath and said, "You look beautiful Nia, black is beautiful. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Ever since that unfortunate incident when that donkey had called her a bloody kaf*ir, she had been repeating the words to herself like a mantra. It actually made her feel a little better. Hell, she was proud of her own skin, she had no idea why she cried. Thinking of it now, she felt really stupid.

Pushing the unpleasant thoughts away, she applied the pink lipstick that Kate said made her lips look utterly kissable. Then she stared at her ass in the mirror.

Cocking her head, Nia asked, "Ana, does my ass look fat in this slacks?"

Ana opened one eye and looked at her. "Your ass looks fat in everything you wear, I don't know why you keep asking me."

"But, is it okay?" Nia persisted.

"You worry too much. Wear the damn slacks Nia, give your boss something to stare at as you walk by. Now please go to work so I can sleep peacefully."

Nia rolled her eyes.

"You would have peace if you slept in your own room."

"I told you already. Missy pooped on my blanket."

"Oh my, that's amazing. Missy is such a great cat" she said laughing and Ana scowled at her.

"You're the worst," Ana grumbled. "Wait, why are you wearing your sexy smoochy lipstick?" She asked staring at Nia.

"I wish you'd stop calling it that. And, I ran out of nude lipstick this morning which is weird because I just bought it... "

Ana quickly turned and covered her face with the duvet.

Nia frowned. "Ana?"

"Mmm?"

"Have you been using my stuff?"

"No."

"You been going out Ana?"

"No."

Nia sighed and sat on the bed. She pulled the duvet down and ran a hand through Ana's long hair as she spoke. "Please be careful when you go out Ana. If only you could exercise a little more patience. You'll be free to move around soon... "

"That's what you said three months ago," Ana said with a slight tremor in her voice. "I want to go outside. I'm tired of staying home everyday. I want to go back to Mexico."

Nia tired not to let it show that what she said hurt her deeply.

"I've been busy Ana, please try to understand. I'm trying my best," she said softly.

Ana said nothing. She tucked her arms under her armpit and stared blankly at nothing.

"Ana... " She called brushing back her baby hairs.

When she didn't reply, Nia sighed and got to her feet. She wore her heels and then picked her bag. She began towards the door but them turned around and leaned down to kiss Ana on the cheek. Ana instantly scrubbed the spot and glared at her. Nia smiled back.