chapter 36

Robert grabbed his gold cuff links and was putting them on when a knock on the door drew his attention.

"Who is it?" He asked but the voice replying him was muffled. "Just come in."

He turned away and looked out the window and stared at the cars coming in; a long line of the most expensive vehicles carrying the most important personnels. Among them was an OB van that was present to take the live broadcast.

"You're not ready!" A voice gasped and he turned around to see Nia standing there.

His eyes widened and his mouth dropped open.

"Oh my God Robert you're supposed to be down there welcoming the guests!"

He wanted to say something but he couldn't speak, couldn't move either. He just stood there staring at her like a creep.

She wore a long white dress with tiny noodle straps. The bodice of the cloth was fitted. There was a slit from her thigh to the bottom of the cloth, and whenever she moved, he caught glimpses of her smooth tan skin. It was a very simple dress, free of any ridiculous designs, but yet managed to look so good on her.

Yet again he was reminded of how beautiful his assistant was. He cocked his head wondering why he hadn't made a move on her. Then he remembered with a frown; Gabriel saw her first.

Although that fact wasn't bothering him as much as it used to. He watched as she went to his computer and typed in some things, then he heard the whirring of the printer. She must have printed out his speech, he had made some last minute changes to it.

She was speaking but he wasn't listening, he could only stare at the lips doing the talking.

"Are you listening?"

When he didn't respond, she huffed and walked around the desk. Grabbing the cufflinks from his immobile fingers, she spoke again as she took one hand and helped him put it on, "I just found out that the projector is not working, but I've asked someone to address the issue. Hopefully before it's time to play the video, it'll have been repaired or replaced."

Robert kept on staring at her lips as she spoke. They had a coat of dark red, and it made her teeth look whiter.

"Your parents have arrived and Connor wants to see you before the wolves get you. Those were his words, not mine."

Standing so close to her, he could see down her cleavage, but he turned away and looked at her hair instead. She had pinned up her curls leaving her neck bare and some curly locks to frame her face.

He suddenly had a desire to touch her there, so he did. She tensed but pretended not to notice his hand trailing her collar bone.

She dropped his hand and looked around for his bow tie. She was putting it around his neck when he said, "I don't want to wear a tie."

Nia looked up at him. Then she scoffed and quickly looked down. He smirked at the blush staining her cheeks.

"Don't be silly. This is a black tie event, you have to wear a tie. You can't go around looking like a... never mind."

Robert lifted a hand and cupped her cheek. She instantly tensed.

"What are you doing?" She asked laughing nervously. "We don't have time for detours... "

"Stop talking," he murmured as he lowered his head and wrapped one arm around her waist pulling her closer. Her hands went flat on his chest.

"Sir you... "