chapter 53

"I can't live like this! I can't!" Sally mumbled as she dusted the snow off her hat. "We've been coming here everyday," she complained.

"Don't be a sourpuss Sal," Robert said pulling her hair as he watched Nia sign her name on the clipboard. "It'll be cruel of you to leave her here alone while you go and cause a catastrophe somewhere else."

"First of all, I'm telling mum you called me a sourpuss, like I'm going to call her right now. Secondly, catastrophe? Do I look like an agent of destruction to you? Can this cute face ever do anything that could harm anybody?"

"That's the face of nightmares."

Sally ignored him. "And thirdly, I'm not a babysitter! You know what? I'm leaving, I'm going home! Because you have been mean to me since the minute I got here! I'm calling mommy!"

"Is everything okay?" A voice asked from behind and Sally whirled around with pink cheeks.

"Fine! No problem! Let's go best friend, a boring day awaits us!" Sally said. Grabbing Nia's arm, she began pulling her down the hallway.

"Wait, I haven't even said goodbye to—"

"He doesn't deserve it, let's go."

Nia turned to wave but Sally shoved her into the elevator. She managed to get a single wave before the doors closed.

"Okay, I have this plan so we won't be too bored. For the first two hours, we'll take a nap."

Nia blinked.

"And when we wake up, we'll go right back to sleep."

"Huh?"

"And when our eyes can't take the shit no more, we'll take a stroll with the other seniors here. Interesting right?"

Nia sighed. "I'm sorry Sally, I didn't really realize how awful it would be for you. I just... Kate's my best friend, and after what happened to her I can't just leave... I have to be there for her, always. It's my fault she's in there."

Sally stared apprehensively from the side. Robert had specifically warned her not to upset her. Had she done that? But this was also the first time Nia had opened up even just a little about Kate, and she so badly wanted to ask questions. Your fault how, she wondered. What happened?

"It's my fault she's here," she repeated quietly and rubbed the chill that had set in her bones. "I'm sorry, I'll talk to Robert. There's no valid reason that says you have to be here with me."

"What?" Sally asked in fake outrage and Nia looked up. "And leave you here so you can have all the jolly good fun alone? Now what kind of a friend would I be. Come along now Nia, don't get cold feet on me. Staying here has actually helped me with something I'm not gonna talk about with you. It's a secret."

"Really?"

"Yes, besides I know you secretly crave my presence. So I'm just going to indulge you, cause I am a good person. And that's what good people do you know. When you love someone you put them first. Now I'm not saying I love you because that would be weird."

**

Nias face fell in an instant.

That's what good people do... You put the people you love first.

She swallowed thickly and looked away. Had she done any of that? Had she put Kate, or her family first? Because it looked like she had been selfish so far. Laughing, and playing games?

God what have I been doing? I'm such a lousy person. I should be worried sick that... What is wrong with me?! I should have murdered Lisa when I had the chance, but I let him pull me away. Why? Why did I let him do that?