chapter 38

For the fifth time that evening, Nia ended Kate's video call. She knew what she wanted to talk about, and she wasn't ready to have that conversation.
She'd just ended it when it began ringing again.

"Christ!" Nia exclaimed and ended the call. "Doesn't she ever take a break?"

Her phone dinged with an incoming message and she picked it up.

You better pick now Mamacita, or I'm coming to your house. Choose your pick. There shall be no peace for the wicked, or in your case, the stupid.

PS, you should know me by now. I'm gonna keep calling until you pick.

"The fuck?" She asked staring at the screen.

As if on cue, the computer began ringing again. She instantly picked it up.

"Kate what the... Aaagh!" She yelled when her eyes saw what she wasn't supposed to see. Kate screamed on the other end.

She instantly covered her face with both hands.

"Sorry Nia, he's gone now. You can open your virgin eyes."

Nia slowly opened her eyes. "Really? You called me when you weren't ready to talk?"

"Had my mouth full at the moment, but I'm okay now. Thanks for asking," Kate said throwing on a singlet to hide her naked body.

"What do you mean by no peace for the wicked?" Nia asked narrowing her eyes.

Kate chuckled evilly. "It made you pick up, didn't it? Now let's talk, you and... "

"That's why you called me?" Nia asked scowling.

"Gee, relax your brows. You'll have frown lines on your pretty face."

Nia blinked startled. That's exactly what Robert had said to her.

"So Nia, c'mon, I'm your best friend. Tell me everything. I want to know everything. Do not keep a single thing from me, I'll know."

Rolling her eyes, Nia lifted her legs onto the table and crossed them at the ankle as she started her weird story.

•••

Anytime Nia mentioned Robert cornering her, Kate squealed. When she mentioned him having a liking to her hair, Kate smirked, and when she mentioned him kissing her, Kate literally fell off the chair and screamed like a banshee.

"You mean to tell me," Kate said adopting a British accent that made Nia laugh. "... That all these has been going on in your life, and I'm just finding out for the first time? Damn Kate you're the world's worst best friend."

"You're not the worst."

"And you went on a yacht and almost got drowned? Babe, when next we see that bitch, show her to me, I've got some nice words I wanna say to her," Kate said cracking her knuckles. "She's got a VIP ticket to a meeting with my fist."

Nia laughed and shook her head.

"So tell me, now that you know Robert has nasty thoughts about you... "

"I never said that," Nia said.

"You don't need to. The guy put you on his desk and nearly had his wicked way with you... "

"He did not!" Nia exclaimed.

"As I was saying, what are you gonna do?"

Nia shrugged. "Nothing."

"What?" Kate screeched.

"It's an office. You don't expect me to mess around with him when it could compromise my job. Besides, I'm all about professionalism."