chapter 22

Like the previous week, Nia had to work closely with her boss. It wasn't as difficult and unpleasant as before, but she still didn't like it.

She folded the file and placed it in a binder, then took the next one and typed the information into her laptop. Occasionally, she glared at him over the top of her computer. And when he caught her glaring, she quickly looked away.

Robert smirked and held the paper over his face. He could feel the heat of her stare through the paper. Exhaling, he lowered the paper and looked at her. Nia stared at the screen like she hadn't just sent her boss a nasty look.

"Are you alright Smithy? Is everything okay with you?" He asked feigning concern.

"I'm fine," she replied curtly.

"You sure? You seem distracted. Is there something you want to tell me, to talk about? I'm here for you, I promise," he said holding up his hand and making the scouts sign of honor.

"Oh it's nothing really. Other than the fact that someone ruined my date on Saturday, I'm fine," she said with a sweet smile.

He rolled his chair around.

"Oh come on. You looked bored that day. I was putting you out of your misery."

Nia scowled at him. "My misery? Gee, thanks boss. I didn't know you cared," she said sarcastically.

"I don't!" He said quickly and she gave him a look. "But you're welcome anyway."

Nia sighed heavily and returned her attention to her computer.

There was silence for a beat before he spoke again.

"You look pretty."

Nia didn't raise her head, didn't acknowledge what he said. But her heart beat a little faster, and the blood rushed to her cheeks. He was beginning to say that a lot, but she wouldn't let his silly words affect her.

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" She asked raising a brow.

He smirked. "Sort of."

Nia narrowed her gaze at him though her heart fluttered.

Is he flirting with me? Cause it's totally working!

"It's not working," she said flatly.

He winked and her heart galloped. It went into overdrive.

Be still my beating heart.

Robert watched as she shook her head and looked back down. She acted like his words weren't affecting her, but they were. She was blushing furiously.

"Do I have to work with you in here everyday?" She asked suddenly.

"Yes."

"But I can do this in my office."

"I know."

"So why do I have to stay here?" She asked finally looking up.

I don't know.

"You're here because I said so... Besides, there are things you'll be wanting to ask me concerning the files. It's better this way. You won't have to walk back and forth between the two offices."

I don't mind walking, she thought.

"Are you concerned about my well-being, Mr McGregor?" Nia asked with a flirtingly teasing smile.

She wanted to confirm something.

Robert leaned forward and placed his elbows on his desk. "I don't know, am I?" He asked. His voice had dropped an octave, and he was staring intently at her.