The Distance

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

By holding her hands, he felt her freeze. Even if he hadn't been holding them, he would've been able to notice the way she went rigid at the news. He didn't blame her, and he didn't know if he'd be able to accept such information if he was on her end, yet he was asking such a thing of her on top of everything else. "There'd be no way to visit?" she asked softly, and her eyes didn't meet his.

"I'm not certain, but I worry what she might try to do if I leave her. I might even have to eat with her nearby, maybe cover her eyes while I'm doing so." His tone indicated evident uncertainty, and she understood that he didn't want to wait that long to see her again. "Unlike Jetta, she probably won't accept being taken to a cave and having to live there for nine months."

"What if she lives in the city? It snows in the capital, right?" She received a nod in response. "Then, you could move your food there. Hide it somewhere, and she could live wherever she's living currently if she's not married."

"I don't intend to do this to a married woman. I'd hate if someone took you away from me and submitted them to this."

"I didn't think you would, but I wasn't sure," she answered truthfully, letting out a light sigh. She slipped her hands from his and leaned back against the wall. (F/n) could see out into the entrance room, and both of her parents remained asleep. Her eyes focused on her feet. "Then, who do you plan to target?"

"Someone in the castle." Instantly, her eyes looked up at him surprised. She parted her lips ready to speak, but he cut her off. "She won't be part of the castle staff, nor will she be related to the king. I couldn't do that to him or them after everything they've done for me."

"What about the other knights? Surely, not all of the ones you were close with died in battle."

"No, they didn't, but I know how to enter the castle and not pick one of their relatives." Her brows furrowed in slight doubt. "I plan to dress as a guard and attend one of the parties at the castle. One should be happening soon if I'm remembering correctly when they host the fall celebrations. I know my way around the castle well and all the servant corridors due to my parents working in the kitchen."

Still confused, she mentioned, "I still don't see how you're going to know the relatives of the knights from the non-relatives. Did they tell you about their family members?"

"Some did, but that's not the reason. The guards at parties often ..." He trailed off and sighed. "Those who train specifically as guards for the castle and noble security don't carry as high of a rank as a knight even though some argue that their training is more intensive, but their ranking is still high enough to attract ... attention."

Understanding where he was going with this, she sighed and leaned back against the wall. She folded her hands behind her back. "So, do they go off with a noble's daughter or someone else at the castle?"

"Depends. It's usually only lower ranking nobles that will flirt with one of the guards and go off for the evening." He leaned against the wall across from her and crossed his arms over his chest. "The king doesn't mind, nor do their parents most of the times. Both usually see it as a way of maintaining good connections since the king verifies the guards himself and the guards also help to keep the nobles safe if one requests such services for traveling." Emorie pushed back a few loose strands of hair, and no smile graced his lips. Instead, a constant frown remained there. "So, both want to keep up good relations since the behavior of both parties reflects back on them. Of course, it needs to be consensual on both sides, and the king has interfered when guards or nobles have tried to force things. Those individuals met varying consequences depending on the situation."