13 - "Tell Me"

Alison
***

"Hey, where are you?" I asked Maddie through the phone. "I don't want to go in alone."

"I'm almost at the gate!" Maddie said, sounding breathless through the line. She kept snoozing her alarm that morning and she was now running late to Art History. "You can go in girl, just sit at the back."

"Maddie, I can't. I still feel so embarrassed. I can't face Dr Damon alone." I said, my nerves coursing through me. "Just hurry up, seriously."

I was a nervous reck. I had told Maddie that the reason for my anxiety was because I was extremely embarrassed for my behavior at the bar and that Professor Damon had to see me in that state, but of course that wasn't the whole truth. I hadn't spoken to him or seen him since he shouted at me in his car. I was dreading our first encounter.

The lecture started at 8:30 and it was almost time. Most of the students were already inside, scanning their notes, getting ready for the impromptu presentation of the paper. I kept myself entertained on my phone, opening and closing apps without using them.

God, I was dying to have a cigarette.

"Morning, Miss Bardot." Said an all-too-familiar voice. I looked up from my phone. Standing in front of the amphitheater doors was Dr Damon. I tried to keep my gaze strong and confident, but just the sound of his voice as he said my name was enough to make my heartbeat skyrocket.

"Morning." I said, nonchalantly. This was so awkward.

He looked around, then at his watch.

"I want to speak to you after class." He said, adjusting the hem of his shirtsleeve. He said it in a way that made me believe it wasn't allowed to protest.

Oh fuck no.

He didn't give me time to reply as he entered the amphitheater. I cursed to myself as I watched him stride to the teacher's desk.

Where the fuck was Maddie?

As I was about to lose my mind, I saw her marching down the corridor.

"C'mon, let's go." I said to her. I made her walk in front of me, to the back of the room.

The lecture went smoothly. Professor Damon didn't call me, didn't look in my direction even once. I wondered if he was doing it on purpose, just so that my nerves built up to an unbearable degree before I spoke to him.

Why on earth did he want to speak with me? He made it very clear that he didn't want to, so what could he possible want? Did he want to humiliate me further? Was that what this was? Did he take pleasure in seeing me anxious, stressed, confused?

"Hey Alison, you okay?" Maddie whispered to me. I swear I couldn't hide my feelings for the life of me.

I nodded, looking down at my computer and continue to take notes. I would occasionally click on the wrong keys because by hands were shaking.

Just breathe Alison.

At the end of the lecture, my anxiety spiked.

"You go on without me. Dr Damon wants to speak with me." I said to Maddie as she packed her stuff. She looked at me, wide-eyed.

"Oh no, do you think he wants to talk to you about the bar thing? Oh, God, I hope he never brings that up again." She said. "What a nightmare."

She had no idea how nightmarish the conversation would be for me.

The students left the amphitheater in small groups. I just waited at the back, not wanting to speak to him with anyone there.

"Miss Bardot, you can come down from there, you know? I won't bite." Professor Damon called from bellow, his voice reaching the back of the room. There were still five students inside.