87 - Friends

Alison
***

I stayed inside Chris' room for a while. I occupied myself by trying to look my best in front of the mirror. I was extremely nervous as to what was being discussed right outside the door. I had a feeling it was a mixture of what had happened to Chris and our secret relationship. Why else would he want to speak to Professor Agnes privately if they weren't talking about me?

The only thing that could explain Professor Agnes' hug was that Kent had already told her about me. However, despite her positive reaction, I was still feeling extremely embarrassed. Nothing could have prepared me to face her this way, to have my secret exposed so audaciously and without warning.

After twenty five minutes, Chris opened the door. I was laying in bed when he came in. I got on my feet in seconds.

"Is she still here?" I whispered as I walked towards him.

"Yes," he replied. "She knows everything."

I swallowed dry, bowing my head. Chris stopped me in my tracks and turned my chin towards him.

"It's alright Ali," he said comfortingly. "She understands."

It was hard to believe that she understood. This situation was so fucked up.

I walked behind Chris to the living room. Professor Agnes had a cup of tea in her hand and two other were set on the coffee table. I sat down on the armchair while Chris sat next to our professor.

She looked at me with the biggest smile. I smiled back, not knowing what that exchange meant.

"You know Alison, I was just commenting with Chris," she said as she held her cup elegantly. "I had my suspicions about you two. I did! But I never confronted Chris about it because if it wasn't true it would be pretty awkward, wouldn't it?"

It was obvious what she was doing. She was acting lively and nonchalantly to lighten the atmosphere. She was acting as if things weren't completely fuck up, as if Chris hadn't tried to kill himself, as if he hadn't had a six month relationship with a student, as if I wasn't in his apartment walking around as if it was my own.

I looked at Chris for reassurance. He looked relaxed, peaceful even. Did he finally feel relief for not having to hide anymore? I should feel that way too, but unfortunately I didn't.

"Professor, if I may," I said, gripping my tea and heating up my hands. "There are a few things I want to say and I'm afraid that if I don't say them now I'll never have the courage to speak up later, so here goes."

I took a deep breath and looked at Chris. His eyes looked wonderful in the afternoon light. They seemed less sad.

"I'm sorry for deceiving you. I'm sorry for being unprofessional and crossing a line that should have never been crossed. I can't offer an explanation as to why this happened, and for that I apologize. I will accept whatever disciplinary action you take against me."

There was silence as my two professors glanced at each other. Chris was smirking for whatever reason, and Professor Agnes had a look of surprise on her face.

"I told you she'd say this," said Chris. I furrowed my eyebrows. Did they go into that much detail during their conversation?

Professor Agnes put her tea down. "Alison, darling, if I were to file any disciplinary actions, something I have never done in my life, I'd file them against Christopher, not you."

She sighed, tucking her hair behind her ears.

"What I'm trying to say is, I will keep your secret. No one needs to know, especially now that Christopher's disappearance from Evergreen for two weeks will raise suspicions about him and his personal life."