48 - Paris

Alison
***

I woke up with a firm hand shaking me. I opened my eyes, suddenly feeling a sharp pain on my shoulders from sleeping in an uncomfortable position.

"Hey Ali, we're landing." Said Maddie, her voice laced with sleep.

I glanced at my watch: 05:46.

It wasn't that bad. I had probably slept five hours, enough to carry me through the day. I'd probably not even need coffee the second my feet touched french soil from all the excitement.

I glanced around the airplane. The staff had turned on the lights and asked everyone to open the window shutters to land. Everyone was awake now due to the bright sun and the voice of the pilot sounding through the plane.

I buckled my seatbelt as instructed and looked outside. We had already passed through the thick layer of clouds, the french countryside passing underneath us.

I closed my eyes, feeling slightly nervous. What if Paris was nothing like I envisioned it? What if something went wrong during the trip? What if I couldn't help my classmates get around due to my anxiety of speaking bad french?

Soon enough, the airplane landed. Everyone got out in an orderly fashion except us, the excited college students who couldn't wait to get to the city center.

The sun hit my face the second I stepped out of the plane. After all, due to the different time zones, in France it was already two in the afternoon, so it should be the hottest time of the day. Still, despite the sun, I had to wear a jacket or I'd freeze.

Maddie was right behind me. She stretched her arms and yawned, her eyes crinkling due to the brightness of the sun.

"Ugh, my body thinks it's six A.M." She said, looping her arm around mine as we walked down the tarmac. "I really hope our professors don't make us walk too much today."

I looked back at the airplane, a queue of people walking behind us. I spotted Chris among the crowd, his tired face telling me he was also begging for some rest.

"Yeah, I don't think they will." I said to Maddie.

Once inside the building, we retrieving our checked baggage, showed our travel documents at the French Border Control and passed through Customs. All we needed to do now was get from the airport to the center of Paris.

Mr Turner and Chris took the lead arranging everything while we, the students, lounged around. I knew they'd ask for my help sooner or later, but for now people at the airport spoke perfect English. Once inside the shuttle bus, some people went straight back to sleep. I, on the other hand, couldn't get my eyes off the road, taking in everything. During that forty minute drive, sleep evaporated from me as I took in the french highway, reading all road signs. Maddie was also awake and we chitchatted all the way to the bus terminal.

Before the bus came to a stop, Chris got up and started handing out the students the weekly metro passes we had bought in advance. Chris made his way down the seats until he reached Maddie and I.

"Good to see both of you so awake and ready to start the day." He said, handing Maddie her pass. "Miss Bardot, you look particularly radiant."

I blushed as he handed me my card. "It's my first time in Paris since I was a kid, Sir. I'm very excited to be here."

"Yes, you told me." Chris said, giving me a handsome smile. Speaking to him like this in front of Maddie sent a rush of adrenaline through me. We really enjoyed playing with fire. "I'm happy you're enjoying yourself so far."