69 - Birthday

Christopher
***

I woke up to the soft ringing of my phone coming from downstairs. Ali, who was laying beside me curled up in a ball, didn't move a muscle. I genuinely thought about just leaving the phone ringing, but my impatience to turn it off made me get up. I made as little noise as possible as I got up from bed and walked downstairs. Since we hadn't closed any windows in the living area, I was bombarded with sunlight. The cabin looked even more beautiful when illuminated by the winter sun. I picked up the phone, knowing exactly who it.

"Hey Kent." I groaned. I was still so sleepy.

"Happy birthday bro!" He shouted. I pulled the phone away from my ear. "Twenty nine never looked so good!"

"Thanks, but you could have called later... Do you know what time it is?"

"Just be glad I didn't call you last night at midnight. I assumed you'd be a little busy."

I rolled my eyes. Now that he knew I was seeing someone, he didn't waste an opportunity to mention it and put me on the spot. Classic Kent.

"And you'd assume well." I replied, chuckling. He gasped, which only made me laugh more.

I opened the sliding doors that led outside to the deck. When the morning air hit me, I instantly froze, but the view was so pretty that I forced myself to stay outside for a little while.

"Will you tell me where you are? Come on, it's not like I'm gonna show up and ruin your romantic escapade." Kent complained. I sat down on a wooden chair, looking at the lake in front of the house. It was wild how last night we didn't even notice such a huge body of water right under our noses.

"Nah bro, not a chance." I said. No matter how much he asked me, I wasn't telling him. Kent was exactly the type of guy to show up even after saying he wouldn't. I couldn't risk him finding about Ali.

We chit-chatted for a few more minutes before I heard the doors sliding open. There, in her flowy nightgown, stood Ali, squinting as the sun shone on her face. I had the sudden urge to hang up the phone mid sentence, but held back.

"Hey listen Kent, I have to go now. Thanks for calling." I said hurriedly.

"No worries. Have a good day mate."

"Will do." With that, I hung up the phone and called Ali to me. She walked barefoot on the wooden deck, her body shivering from the cold. I pulled her close as she sat on my lap, bending her knees to her chest.

"Already awake?" She asked as I kissed her forehead.

"Kent woke me up, the bastard."

He chuckled softly. "It was nice of him to call you early in the day."

I clicked my tongue. I knew I'd probably get a few more calls from my colleagues at work but not from many more people. "I think I'll just put my phone on silent mode and reply to all the birthday wished tomorrow."

She kissed my cheek. "It's your day, you decide what you want. By the way, did you see the basket they left by the cabin door? It's filled with breakfast food. Could this place get any better?"

No, it couldn't. I don't remember having such a good birthday in years, and the day was just getting started.

I lifted her dress ever so slightly, revealing her thigh. I ran my fingers on her skin, making her have instant goosebumps. "I was planning on having something else for breakfast."