70 - Bust

Alison

***

"This is gonna give me such a headache..." Complained Maddie as she hammered her chisel into the hard plaster. "I mean, not as much as this guy though."

As she said this, she hammered with tremendous force the head of the bust she was working on. It was a life-size sculpture of a man's head she had to finish by the end of the month. For this reason, Maddie was always in the art studio at Evergreen and I joined her whenever I could.

On one of those occasions, as I went over some notes, I heard Chris' voice coming from the door. I turned around to see who he was with. To no surprise, he was walking side by side with Professor Agnes.

A few weeks had gone by since Chris' birthday. On the first day back, I found it really hard to concentrate in his lesson. I'd give him knowing looks during his lectures when he was talking at the podium. When our eyes met he quickly looked away but looked back at me soon after with a growing smile. It felt like a sort of game to see for how long we'd dare to look at each other. It was stupid and childish, but at the same time reassuring. Even though he was constantly pretending I was nothing to him but an ordinary student, these simples looks reminded me I meant much more.

With my back turned to Dr Damon and Professor Agnes, I eavesdropped on their conversation. They were walking about a staff meeting, reports, teacher assessments. Riveting stuff.

"The Dean doesn't want us to sleep." Complained Chris. "Why do we need all of these assessments? I'm paid to teach and do academic research, both of which I do to the highest standard. What does he know about my job anyway to assess me? I don't need anyone telling what I should and shouldn't do. It's my job, I know how to do it. If I wanted to do basic bureaucratic work I'd be the Dean myself."

I chuckled, finding his annoyance funny. He just loved to complain.

"Is anything funny, Miss Bardot?"

Maddie, who was focused on her work, didn't even bat an eye at Dr Damon's direct question. I turned around, finding his and Professor Agnes' eyes on me.

"All that complaining about assessments makes me think you're scared of them, Professor."

Agnes Sminton laughed, covering her mouth. Chris shot me a death stare.

"Miss Bardot, I thought we had left the childish remarks in the first semester. Clearly you haven't matured since then."

Professor Agnes shook her head, doing an awful job at hiding her laughter.

"It's only an observation, Dr Damon. Besides, I do believe you have nothing to worry about regarding the assessments."

There was silence as the two teachers looked at each other, shaking their heads but smiling. Chris was acting flawlessly, making Professor Agnes believe she and him had the upper hand when, in fact, Chris' glint in his eyes when he spoke to me said otherwise.

"Don't you have more important things to do instead of commenting on your teacher's private conversations?" Asked Chris. He was unrelenting, not wanting to drop the subject.

Maddie had dropped her tools and was looking at me wide eyes, surprised by my boldness to interrupt the conversation between two professors.