18 - Michelangelo

Alison
***

I woke up the next day and checked my e-mails. As expected, I had received one from Gary Kent last night.

"Hello Alison and David!

First of all, thank you both once again for your enthusiasm today at the interviews! I'm sure I chose the right people for the job.
As I already explained to you both, I'll expect you to work Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays from 6 P.M to around midnight, but these first few days I'll just be explaining my new collection from top to bottom and go over each piece that I'll want to create, so you'll be leaving earlier.
The address of my studio is: 264 Jennings Rd. 5th floor. You don't need to bring any materials with you, only some comfortable clothes you don't mind staining (since you're painters I assume it's your entire closet ahahah).
If you have any questions please send me a text. I'll leave my phone number attached (I hate e-mails, they're so formal).
Alright, that's all I got for you guys. See you on tomorrow!
Take care!

PS: If you call me anything other than Gary (or Kent, most of my friends do) you're both fired hahhah."

I smiled as I got out from bed, excited for the day ahead. The e-mail had put me in an instant good mood. Since it was Friday, it would be my first day working with Gary at his studio. I just couldn't wait for 6 P.M. to roll around. David was the other student chosen to be Gary's assistant, so I texted him and asked if he had seen the e-mail. He sounded just as thrilled as I was. Since Gary's studio was close to the university, we agreed to meet at Evergreen's gate at a quarter to six and walk there together.

The rest of the day was uneventful, just boring lectures and long hours painting. Whenever I walked in the corridors, my eyes involuntarily searched for Dr Damon, but I never saw him. He was probably busy working in his office.

I had to fight against the temptation to go upstairs and look for him. I'd be violating rule number four a day after setting up the rules. I did say that I'd probably have difficulty following that rule though...

No Alison, he's busy, don't bother him.

A lightbulb when on in my head. Asking him if he was busy didn't actually break any rules... right?

As I took a seat at the university's cafeteria, I pulled out my phone and composed a new text. A rush of adrenaline rushed through me as I typed. It felt so risky to text him at Evergreen. I felt observed.

ALISON: I have a doubt about the rules, Professor Damon. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me?

I waited, sipping on my coffee. My heart skipped a beat when my phone lit up after a few minutes.

DR DAMON: Good afternoon to you too.

I rolled my eyes, but smiled.

ALISON: Would I be transgressing rule n°4 if I went to your office to discuss a lecture paper?

I couldn't help but smile as I tapped in the text. I wondered if the people around me could sense my excitement.

DR DAMON: Alison, I know what you're doing.

I bit my lip. I was hoping he did.